Thread: Seagate Momentus XT - Temperature issues

Seagate Momentus XT - Temperature issues

Even if my next Storage SSD is another alternative but I welcome the new intimately. Because competition is announced here on out so far was skim fat and after the first wave are also the 0.2 x € / GB will not be the last word. Time spun into the blue: Pick For Linux Live distribution gives the file systems mounted on the RO-media only the changed data and stuff can be retrofitted for each OS. By analogy HD DVD and HD ~ ~ SSD I come to the conclusion that hybrid drives are only an episode. The possibilities of the OS to optimize the traffic should be much bigger, I would therefore like to have a HD and a (really fast) SSD in a housing, but as two separate devices. The main thing that I want to ask to you members is about the temperature of Seagate Momentus XT. Is there any issues, if not then how can I avoid it?

Re: Seagate Momentus XT - Temperature issues

I do not hang around for cheap SSDs, since I want to have rapid start the program or need, but merely because those things are in a totally SILENT. THIS is the decisive factor which is why I like to have SSDs with larger storage capacity. And who says that the average user does not need oh-so-quick program start? I say this, and tens of thousands of users as well. Can a 0815 times so users who buy their computers operating in MM ne SSD and say that their programs will run 50% faster, but still it should lie down is 10 times your money. Then you also said the "No thanks, there's enough of the cheap HDD. Because I stake you 100 €. Who needs my opinion faster startup and data transmission? People have their computer in the industrious use and in which therefore is time = money.

I do not hang around for cheap SSDs, since I want to have rapid start the program or need, but merely because those things are in a totally SILENT. THIS is the decisive factor which is why I like to have SSDs with larger storage capacity. And who says that the average user does not need oh-so-quick program start? I say this, and tens of thousands of users as well.
    Then you are not only presumptuous but also animal on the wrong track. When I built my first I was disappointed Vertex something ... because the "wow" simply failed to appear. The thing was built in quiet, ok. Nothing but wars with "rat-fast". Then I borrowed my SSD. Once in a work colleague and twice within the family. And what can I say, the demolition was as if I would have been catapulted into the stone age. Those little annoying waiting times at startup, that "we are testing times for the metal cutting deformation" of the OS in between arias out of the blue - it shows only when it was gone and come again. And believe me: that you do not want more than if there once was gone You mean after I told him everything that he do what it's up with the 350 € PC can - instead of the 450 € of which it has in mind? So no one in the private sector. But what you need and what one wants and what one is willing to pay - the average amount of it is sometimes quite surprising.

My HD4670 is cooled by a lpassiv AC Accelero S1, is so silent. On my X2 4850e sits a Scythe Shuriken of the CPU passively cooled practically, because the fan turns even under full CPU load any faster than 800 rpm and is therefore inaudible. And now firmly hold up: the loudest in my system are the 2 250GB HDDs. And even those I've bought because they are in contrast to models from Samsung or WD quieter noise and not as crazy as they run. You see, one should not prejudge. My computer is trimmed to silent, but the annoying vibrations a normal HDD bother me easy. Therefore, a 256GB SSD or 512GB would be with an acceptable price (and I mean max. 100 €) finally a real technical progress. These hybrid drives, the Seagate because now brings to the market may indeed be fast, but they work nevertheless continues to cause with moving parts, the vibration and noise.

Yes, I have to admit that I probably would like to SSD because of the least important criterion, but it's so bad? Does not mean that I would not welcome the speed advantage and lower power consumption too. On the contrary, I find this course great. But I might as well live with a completely silent drive at the speed of present HDDs, that would not bother me much. Also I want to ask you what is for you the difference between a hard drive and an inaudible inaudible fan? And if you can accept now a fan if it only runs quietly and vibration enough - why should not that apply to an HD too? Hold on to your own firm, which does not surprise me. I would be surprised if you have a 500GB HD min with 2.5 inches and 4500 rpm in it could have and still would find disturbing. My WD Green is still audible, but for me, even under the limit would be annoying. I think you are doing you a wrong picture about how my posts come about ... But the power supply and CPU fan making noise and vibration. If the hard disk would be quiet now ... it would still be worth buying an SSD?

The G1 was built and is still at 50nm. It was the successor (Postville X25-M G2) uses 32nm Flash devices. The only reason for the decline in prices is the pricing of the G1 to G2 and the other with SSDs such as the Barefoot controller. But I do not Intel on the G1 so anything can earn. This is probably not yet been Discontinued only because they need to provide well-contract (for any OEMs) a certain time. Is actually known how high the margins are about SSDs? I think as long as the SSDs are not as durable as a HDD and at the same price level, the remain a niche product for enthusiasts. This remains a hybrid disk that nothing not even as the Velociraptor.

Is actually known how high the margins are about SSDs? I think as long as the SSDs are not as durable as a HDD and at the same price level, the remain a niche product for enthusiasts. This remains a hybrid disk that nothing not even as the Velociraptor.
    I can not understand your mental leaps all over. Above you'll start with the (miserable) Evaluate the price of the SSD. You write down then but when you had money NEN shit and you are still the poor relation of the raptors as a result do not mind. I find 500GB for 130 € at 90% of the performance of a Raptor (heat and noise outside times before) is already a very good starting point. And the Hybrid is Momentus but not the same as the first serious representative of the genre hybrid - will be followed by hopefully more. Then there is price and forward into the performance, the Raptor.

Hard drives are basically to buy in two sizes: "Too small" and "soon too small". The 80GB Raptor are intellectually, of course, sufficient. But in practice the boards of more than 200 GB will be sold more often. So size is secondary but not negligible. With 10%, which is pretty much for the enormous cost more per GB. But ok, now I understand how you come to the statement. If sufficient, the Raptor 80GB is actually faster and cheaper than the XT. How goes with it with volume / vibration? I am happy with the WD Caviar Black. Since both the SSD and the XT just include SSDs, have the problem of rapid aging remains for me of just the mature Raptor. Because IMHO enthusiasts probably do not have a case from the pole, etc. with the problem should be secondary vibrations. I do this before going to bed and as I remember the noise of my then ramped CPU fan and pups.

hotoFast presented at the Computex seven SSDs for the new SATA standard with 6 Gb / s. Here the models have several features in common: All are based on a different controller, and none of the pieces is even close to available. While the most optimistic forecasts show for the first SSDs PhotoFast for SATA 6 Gb / s end of July this year, including models are among the first in the second quarter of next year - that are still a full year away. The data know sometimes really impress. Read speeds of up to 500 MByte / s and write services that can with 450 MByte / s has very little of which, can be seen on the paper first. Yes on the controller, whether sand force, one of two Indilinx vary, eastwho, Siglead, JMicron and Marvell the rates for both processes sometimes significantly. This should, of course, directly impact on the price, if it ever create all these models on the market.