Thread: Dimension 8300 won't start

Dimension 8300 won't start

My 4 year old Dell Dimension 8300 desktop won't start. I sometime get a blue screen while booting up Windows. The power button light remains steady Amber colour. Initially it had a dead motherboard but I had already replaced it last month and so I don't think that's motherboard issue. I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it seems to be good. So where is the problem and how to fix this?

Re: Dimension 8300 won't start

Did you ever tried to remove the hard drive of your Dimension 8300 computer? Also your hard disk is IDE or SATA? Since you installed a new motherboard, so did you reinstalled the Windows or it just started working with driver updates? Try booting your system in Safe mode to see if there is any applications running that is preventing the system to boot. What about the Diagnostic Lights? Check the sequence of the lights on the back of the case.

Steady Amber colour seems to me BIOS problem. Try to reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard, waiting for 5 minutes and then re-inserting it in the same place. If you get the same result then it is likely some hardware problem. I'd suggest you to go for their online chat and ask them for assistance.

I didn't removed the hard drive from my Dimension 8300 computer, its the same that came with the computer. However, I don't know whether it is IDE or SATA. I have not installed Windows again. I am using the same old installation with normal driver updates on it. Regarding Diagnostic Lights, I have "A," "B," and "C" are solid green, whereas and "D" is yellow. What does this mean? Is there something serious issue with my computer?

You need to check the data cables. Make sure that the cables from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive are properly connected to the system board. This problem might occur if the operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive) but unable to find it or the necessary files that it require.

Check with the manufacturer's manual for your Dimension 8300 and see what the light code means. According to me its related to your power supply. It always recommended not to leave your computer plugged in all the time because there may be some power failure in your area which affects the motherboard or power supply directly. Get a UPS to control power flow through your computer.