Thread: Flash Drive vs. External Hard Drives

Flash Drive vs. External Hard Drives

I have one question .I want to know that from the Flash drive and the External drive which one is the better for using purpose. I want the comparison between the Flash drive and the External drive. I want to know that which one is long lasting and good to use. I also want to know about the price, performance, Portability and Storage Capacity of both the devices. Please give your view on this topic.

Re: Flash Drive vs. External Hard Drives

Actually your question is debating one. Flash drives do not have any moving parts and is more durable one. Most of the flash drive has the defined life span i.e. 100000 write operations. After you write more than 100000 operations, the memory gets unreliable. If we do the comparison between the Flash drive and external drive then reliability is measured in mean time between failures and it is in 3-5 year range. It normally depends upon how the person is using the stuff.

According to me flash drive is more durable as it has no moving parts which can break; this thing is true if you are always carrying the drive with you. On the other hand hard drive would likely break. Talking in terms of usage Flash drives typically fails according to the number of times they are used and the hard drives can last a couple decades. This view will change from person to person. It depends on how the device is used.

According to me the most important factor is probably the cost. In terms of dollars per gigabyte, an external hard drive is superior to flash memory. You can buy a 1 terabyte drive--1,000 gigabytes--for less than 100 dollars. Meanwhile, a 64GB flash drive will cost you about $150, and a 128GB flash drive goes for around $400. As larger sizes are introduced, the older ones will drop in price, but there will always be a substantial spike for the premium model. I hope it is giving some kind of information to you.

What i feel is that when it comes to portability, flash memory is the king, though it is expensive, a thumb drive can fit on a key chain or around your neck on a lanyard. Flash drives are much lighter and smaller than any external drive on the market and you do not need cables to attach them, just need to plug them in to a USB 2.0 port on your computer. Hope i have provided you some kind of help.

I feel that the power requirement factor should also be considered while comparing both of them. Another advantage to flash drives is power requirements. Most external hard drives require an AC adapter plugged into the wall or into a power strip. A flash drive however draws all the power it needs from a USB port. If you lose your AC adapter, you will have to contact it to the manufacturer for a replacement, and if the product has been discontinued, a replacement may not be available. I think you have got your answer.

As you have also asked about the performance part ,So i am providing you some basic info -As far as transfer speeds go, both flash memory and hard drives are limited by USB 2.0's limit of 480 megabits per second, or 60 megabytes per second. However, many external hard drives also offer an external connector for "eSATA," which allows a standard hard drive to operate at its typical 150-megabyte peak rate.