Thread: SSD vs Hard Drive Heat Question

SSD vs Hard Drive Heat Question

Hi,
    i am very much interested in knowing which hard drive will be better suitable, whether it is the ssd drive or the normal hard drives,which among them create them the heating issues,i would like to get to know about the laptop which i have at what extend it gets heated up.

Re: SSD vs Hard Drive Heat Question

The difference which you want for ssd drive and the normal hard drive heating issues, therefore i feel that the ssd drives create more heat just because there are no moving parts within this ssd drive.The normal hard drive requires motor and the mechanical parts which requires more energy to operate.Whereas the ssd operates at less energy power.

The fear which you have in your mind about the hard drives getting heated up, according to me the most heating issue is related to the processor and the graphic card in your laptop, this are the parts which get heated up leading to the laptops to be heated, to solve this isssue you require high speed heat control fans so the temperature may be managed.

The heat difference between ssd and normal hard drive, normally the ssd are not mechanical devices,they require less than 1w and ranges between 0.1w.The power consumption is converted into the heat generation, the ssd does not require any cooling, it is mostly safe to use in the extreme temperatures,as it is not more susceptible to the temperature.

The hdd manufacturer site may provide you the temperature range of the drive,the hdd heating leads to the heating of the other components, so you have the case ventilation to reduce the likelyhood of heat building,The excessive amount of heat exposure may lead to the individual component to fail.

The problem which is meant for power consumption and and heat dissipition,its mostly related to processor and the video cards.The hdd have the moderest range of operating temperature,from 0 to 60 degree ,which is less than the processors, video cards, or chipsets. Moreover, reliability and durability of these drives depends much on their operating temperatures.

hey guys, i know im a little late but im asking this same question because im running an acer 1551 netbook that is already notoriously hot.

the thing is, i see most of the ssd are spec'd to run @ 60-75 degrees celsius, for those of you who don't know, this translates to roughly 150-180 degrees farenheit. if water boils at 212f and skin can be scalded at 115f, do i want to add this heat-load to my already hot computer?

now i know the response i'm going to get, will say something about "having no moving parts" being more efficient and thus creating less heat, but that is wrong because both devices consume energy (ssd and hdd), and that energy is consumed differently in the two devices. electric energy is consumed in the hdd in two ways, it is converted into locomotive force/kinetic energy to spin the disc and it is converted into heat, both within the drives circuitry and a small amount of waste heat generated in the drive's motor and bearings. on the other hand the ssd has no moving parts, yet it consumes a considerable amount of power (less than most ssd but sometimes not by much), this power has to go somewhere and 100% of it is converted into heat inside the drives circuitry and flash modules.

also, i understand the difference between operating temp and operating temp range, so please don't answer this if you think i am asking about what environmental conditions can the drive operate in. thank you.

Now that we have established the differences in how energy is used in the devices and we can all agree that mw figures do not directly correlate to operating temperatures, can somebody with some concise answers to the original question please chime in? I have limited experience with ssd but i know i have never felt a hdd that was more than just warm to the touch (maybe 100f or 35c), and as i want to improve the performance in my speedy little notebook without creating more overheating issues i wanted to know how ssd stacked up against hdd heatwise, maybe even info on hybrid drives like the seagate momentus (does anybody have one of those?)

thanks all for your time, any help appreciated