Thread: Excessive cpu consumption by compiler

Excessive cpu consumption by compiler

I am having intel64 compiler version 11.1.059 which I am running on Red Hate Enterprise Linux 5(RHEL 5) some sources takes up to 5 CPU minutes to compile or some time much longer to run. Is there any problem with source code or if compiler is having Bug. What can I do to resolve this problem other than changing the code? Is there any way to improve compiler performance?

Re: Excessive cpu consumption by compiler

As per my knowledge there is no bug present in the compiler but the current design which is use for data initialization in some situations can take very long compile time and your problem can be one of the example of such data initialization. You can go for the run-time initialization which may help you to avoid such long compile time.

Excessive CPU consumption by compiler can be because of this source code is going for more resources of your machine because of which it is taking time to compile a simple source code. Check if same thing happen for the other codes you will try to compile and let me know.

This problem may be because there may be multiple processes that are running on your machine which is making compiler to wait for gathering the required resources that are needed to compile the source code. So to resolve this try to find out what are the processes running at that time and which is taking the CPU resources the most at that time and try stop that process and compile the source code which you want.

You can try this solution just stop all the process running on your machine and try to compile the source if it is because compiler is not getting the resources which are to be there to compile the source then it will be compiled in quick time because it will get the resources if all other process are not running. This will surely resolve issue of high CUP consumption.