Thread: Need a CPU cooler

Need a CPU cooler

I preferred desktop when I was given a choice between laptop and the computer. I am having AMD processor and Crosshair IV motherboard. I did not have the idea that Phenom II CPU's may reach 60C. I desperately need a cooler for this CPU. I want to do it swiftly. While doing this I do not want to block the slot 1 of RAM. Can you all suggest me some of the fans for this. Also I want that the heat sinks on the motherboard should clear as well.

Re: Need a CPU cooler

To keep all the thing simple and safe, I would suggest you to go for the Scythe Mugen 2. I have heard a lot of good things regarding this. Some description regarding this will surely help you all here I guess. About the fan; it weighs 115g, its dimension is 120 x 120 x 25 mm and speed is about 324 rpm to 1200rpm approx. See if this fits in your dimensions, about the cooling I will say that it is excellent piece. Give it a try.

You have asked for an ultimate cooling thing then I would suggest you to go for Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler. Well it has better reviews and outcomes from different forums. The model number of this thing is SCMG-2100, a brighter version then suggested above. It is well compatible with the Intel sockets and the AMD sockets. The RPM is around 1300rpm approx, 100rpm more than SCMG-2000. I am sure that this will give the ultimate cooling for the CPU of yours.

I cleaned out all of the dirt on my PC today because when I was playing games on it, the games were lagging. I played Crysis for about 3 hours and after that I thought of taking a break from it. So I quit the game. I actually cleaned because the benchmarks were terrible. Mostly I use to get a score of about 7500+ running the AMD Overdrive benchmark. So when I was done with the cleaning I again went for playing Crysis, this time I played for a little time and after that I went back for the benchmark thinking that this time the scores would be back to standard one, but this time I got a score of 7500+. When I restarted the system as it was asked to be done compulsorily and then when I ran the benchmark again I got a very low score of 1900+. I do not know if I need a cooler, the reason for this is because after I restart the system, the Core Temperature says that the temperature of CPU is about 23C, but in the BIOS it shows 36 C.

At the first glance on the post I thought that, yes something was wrong but then I realized that, BIOS cannot read the Core Temperatures. What they actually read is the overall CPU temperature. If it says that the overall CPU temperature is 36C then I think that this is normal. You do not need to worry for this. The stock coolers for AMD Phenoms are absolutely good ones. In your case I think you should go for upgrading the hard drive. See if that helps.

I think the best way to solve any problem is through discussion. You had asked for the coolers for the CPU, and as I already mentioned that it will really be nice if you can see for the threads that have done discussions on these topics. I would recommend you to pay visit to those threads and see if they helped. If however you cannot search then you can go there by clicking on the links here: 1. Best CPU Cooler and 2. CPU Cooler

So, if I upgrade the hard drives of my system will the benchmark get stored to here it was. I was actually planning to do so and if at all it is the root of the problem then I will try to move with it giving it a better priority. I was planning for Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb. Will the benchmark will be restored or will it go even higher. Are you all sure that I will not be required to make any more changes with the CPU case. Or should I buy some side panel fans? Please suggest.

For today I think that the score of the 7500 is really low. Also regarding the side panel fans, there is no problem if you have it, but the fans that you already have on the system are pretty fine. The problem may rise when the hard drive cage restricts some of the air that usually comes from the front. With this upgrade I think that you should get 10000+. I think you need to unlock hidden cores on that Phenom II with your motherboard. See if any changes can be seen.