Thread: Why Dell Hard Drives are so expensive!

Why Dell Hard Drives are so expensive!

I have a Dell Latitude D600 Laptop Computers. I want to use an external hard drive without going through the main hard drive. It seems to me that this manipulation is possible (choice of hard disk at boot time) but I'm not on my shot. Also, I found the Seagate Pocket Hard Drive 5 Giga (handy for very small), is it possible to install the XP operating system on this disk and then use it as a primary hard drive? It is clear that I have to buy Dell hard drive but I want to know why these hard drives are expensive.

I assume that your external hard drive connects via USB. Outside, it seems that USB devices are taken into account by the operating system and not to start the computer. In other words, as Windows is not running, you cannot access your external hard drive. Not being an expert, a confirmation would be welcome. And Dell hard driver are expensive because they are providing good performance and service to their customers.

Re: Why Dell Hard are Drives so expensive!

Some motherboards can boot from external devices. For this, management bios, in the list where you indicate the boot order. Sometimes, the option for USB boot is possible only if the disc was first connected an OS. By restarting the computer, the option appears in the bios. Can you tell us the options displayed by your bios in the boot order: Without connecting the external drive? By starting an external disk connected. Restarting after plugging the drive in Windows

The USB boot is supported by some motherboards, but I do not absolutely interest of such a manip! A USB hard drive is very slow (even USB2), so do not install an operating system or put swap files on it! Unless you care that your operating system starts half hour to start. I have explained the problem that will occur if you are using external hard drive.

Why I want to make such a manip? In fact it is a business notebook. I would sometimes use private and install personal software without taking any risks (viruses) where the separation frank I wish direct between the two hard drives. I realized that the solution not USB2 is not good. Do you have another idea to solve this issue? I will be waiting for the related reply.

Re: Why Dell Hard Drives are so expensive!

Yes there is always the possibility to partition the drive, but if it is to install two above Windows XP not worth it. In my humble opinion, the mere fear of viruses / trojans / etc. Absolutely no reason not a clear separation between Internet use and the rest. A Windows XP update, with a good antivirus and a good firewall secures more than enough PC. Multiple users can be configured, some files may be confidential reporting (impossible for other users to see their content), and to save any important documents there are USB drives 128 or 256 MB to more expensive now.

Re: Why Dell Hard Drives are so expensive!

I am in the same situation but with a D610 and for my part, I cannot have fun creating different partitions: our OS are installed automatically and we have no possibility to choose to create partitions. Furthermore, as users have virtually no rights over. So how and why is not a question of taste, personal choice, or cost, but the only possibility to use the material at our discretion? So it is possible or not possible.