Thread: Crackling sound and audiodg.exe problems

Crackling sound and audiodg.exe problems

I have two problems with my system audio. First one is whenever I try to access multiple programs say a game and a media player then it makes some crackle noise. This increases by time and at last it become very irritating and finally it lost the sound for few seconds. Second problem is that audiodg.exe have serious memory leak. It starts at 11 MB and after about 2 hours it reaches about 450 MB.

Can you give me any idea to solve the issue. Thanks.

Re: Crackling sound and audiodg.exe problems

The process audiodg.exe used to cause this issue in many of the computers running on Vista too. Actually it is the new audio engine for Windows Vista and now for Windows 7. If you open more application that produces sound may cause more memory leak. It is like under Windows 7 how my Alienware AlienFusion Power Management works. This is not possible for you to disable it without losing sound. You have to restart your computer or you can use integrated audio if you have it.

You can do the following to solve your problem. These are the steps which I performed on my friends computer who was facing the similar problem.

Go to Start > control panel > Sound (Classic view selected). Right click on
    sound device.Click on advance. It says default format lower it and this will let you to a new window where you have to check whether any effect are checked or not in the enhancement tab. If it does not help you then in advance mode you can uncheck the two boxes under advance tab.

This seems to be driver problem. Your sound driver may not be functioning properly. The best way to avoid this problem is to reinstall the sound driver. If re installation does not work in your case then you can download the latest driver from internet and install that on your computer. This may fix the issue. And if does not solve your problem then also it will not going to harm your system anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by deoWo View Post
    This seems to be driver problem. Your sound driver may not be functioning properly.
    I dont think that this is a driver issue because I have similar crackling sound when I use onboard sound card and even if I use different USB sound card. This problem was there in any music player. Normally when CPU is busy then it creates crackles and stutters sound. I was hearing the sound when I start any program while listening music.

I restored the BIOS to its default factory setting and rebooted the system and guess what? The issue was gone and I it does not create such crackling sound.

To disable high CPU uses, you have to disable audio enhancement process. Use the following steps to disable it.
    • Right click on the icon of speaker which is on the lower right of your screen.
    • It will show you a list of devices when you click on Playback Devices.
    • Search for the device which has a green checkmark and double click it
    • It will open a new property window.
    • On property window click on Enhancements tab.
    • uncheck all the enhancement.
    • To save your changes click on OK.
    • Click OK to close the Playback Devices window.

When I did this I can play music and video without any issue.

You may not have seen this file(audiodg.exe) before because it makes its appearance in Microsoft Vista. Audio engine for Vista hosted by audiodg.exe. This file can also leads some problem. I found that some audio effect can consume CPU and memory if not coded properly.