Thread: GPO Printer Deployment not working reliable

GPO Printer Deployment not working reliable

There is a Terminal Server Environment and by using the group policy deployed the printers. Now, during the user logon, in the event log, we are getting an error. The error says, that the user "PrinterName" an item in the "GroupPolicyName" Group Policy could not be applied. After the error arrived we tried to restart the spooler so that the printer can start printing once again. But it did not work. Please help!

Re: GPO Printer Deployment not working reliable

From your post it seems that, the following error occurs whenever the user tries to log on the terminal server. I am wondering about the error that you had recently posted. I think the error occurs only in the client machines which are based on XP. You can manually try to add this registry value on the client machine that is giving you the problem.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalMachine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value Name: SyncForegroundPolicy
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 1

Hope that this may work.

In addition to the solution given by Eru you can also try to configure the policy in the Group Policy. The policy that you need to configure is "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon". After configuring the policy, do enforce the GPO. Hope that this small solution works with much less problem.

There is one more solution in this thread. Please follow the following steps and get the problem solved. I am sure about this. First of all, collect the MPS report that you get on the server. Secondly, download the proper MPS report tool from the proper site. Once downloaded, run it by double clicking on it. If there is some requirement issue, then make them available, and install them. After all this is done, hit on the next. Now the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" must appear, when it appears select the "General" and then "Server Components" and then hit the next button. Once you are finished with collecting the log files, choose "Save Results" and save it to the <computername>MPSReports.cab file. This should work.

I was facing the exact difficulty. I want to add little content to this context. The users can see the printers but is unable to use the printers. In the environment that I am working there are two different print servers. The users are able to connect to the printers on both. All the connections to the printers shared on one of the print servers get affected whenever this error is encountered. To the others, the connections work fine. On the terminal server whenever the spooler service is started, all of them work fine. So, I guess that there is no big issue with the spooler.

Hi, The problem that I was facing is lot similar to yours. On the terminal server you can try installing QFE. This will let the redirected connection to continue the work. Even if something wrong goes with the print server it will allow to work continuously. on a print server that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, after the restart of the Spooler Service The print queue remains offline.