Thread: Seagate AS vs. NS drives

Seagate AS vs. NS drives

As far as I know, Seagate is the name of hard drive manufacturer. Here I want to discuss about two versions of the Hard drives that Seagate manufactures viz. AS and NS. Can anyone here give me some more information about the two different versions of the hard drives in any respect. Any help in relation to this query will be really appreciated and thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by Adrie; 18-08-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Re: Seagate AS vs. NS drives

I have not much here to share, but I have little information on Seagate that I would love to share here. Seagate, as you said is the manufacturer of hard drives. It has 2 lines for hard drives having 1TB memory. AS is the version made for Desktop and NS is the version made for Enterprise. The enterprise version i.e. NS is a little costlier as compared top the Desktop version. Also performance wise NS is superior than AS.

I am also searching the answer for the same question and trying hard to find which one is better NS or AS. I am also searching about what is better if I use NS drives with respect to WHS. All I know is that NS are enterprise version for hard drives and cause less problems and resists errors. If I find out more regarding this I will let you know soon..

I would also say the same, Seagate, manufactures hard drives. Actually I am here to ask a question for my friend. He has nearly 5TB of Data and 10 PC's which are connected to Windows Home Server(WHS). Though it is not that big like others have, but I want to take care of reliability then performance. I cannot afford to lose my data at any cost so, he has asked me help him out. He told me if the NS drives are slower but give better reliability promise then it will be the best one. Now if someone can give more information in this context I will be very thankful to him.

I am here to tell you about the Seagate AS version, Seagate ST31000528AS. I have a WHS and it runs near about 293 kelvin cooler as compared to other drives. Really it is nice to work with this kind of drives. I do not know if it is going to work more cooler than similar Seagate disk drives. The other versions of Seagate AS drives which I am using in my WHS are ST3300822AS and ST3500418AS. Sorry for the NS viewers, I do not have any information in this context, but if found will let you know all.

Regardless AS and NS versions of Seagate hard drives I would like to introduce one more class of Seagate drives "ES". By looking at the term ES I can tell that ES drives are Enterprise level and NS drives are drives for large server systems. Though ES is little downgraded version it can not be used for desktop purpose.One point I would like to clarify is that neither NS nor ES have better performance as compared to AS. The AS drives are cheaper and faster hence recommended for use in desktop systems. Here it can also be used in WHS.