Thread: HP Pavilion dv8000 heat problem

HP Pavilion dv8000 heat problem

I have some problems with a laptop HP Pavilion DV8000. After several minutes of use, it shuts off. Entrusted with a friend, I have not the history of this machine but I am surprised by the temperature of the machine. I have verified that there is no dust in the fan because I have serious suspicions about a crash caused by a heater on the proc. I'll open the beast this weekend to properly identify and verify the fan to dissipate heat of the process by giving the dough. Do you know what kind of problem on laptops? Is there a parade to lower the temperature?

Re: HP Pavilion dv8000 heat problem

Unfortunately, the flexibility of a laptop is quite thin!
    However, it is possible:
    * elevates the laptop to facilitate heat dissipation
    * declining performance in the BIOS to reduce the problems of overheating
    * in software to lower the CPU temperature

The first solution is to better ventilate the case by rearranging the components, leaving space between hard drives or additional cards or by attaching sheets. Another solution may be to add a fan to facilitate air circulation. Finally, to reduce the CPU temperature. The maximum temperature depends on an Intel model but is generally around 70 ° C for the Pentium 4, 60-70 ° C for the generation Core2, and 70 ° C for the Nehalem generation (i3/i5/i7 ). The mobile processors support up to 100 ° C approximately.

Beyond this value, a thermal protection system intervenes and stops the processor to its lowest frequency, blocking the CPU ratio to a minimum. If the temperature rises again, the CPU automatically shuts off, no thermal destruction is possible in principle with the latest processors. Obviously, the hotter the processor will be low over its lifetime will be long and there will be more room for overclocking for example.

The value of the maximum working temperature is measured directly in the center of the chip on top.The temperature reported by the BIOS of a system may be different from the actual temperature of the processor if the measure is taken to another place. Moreover, the reported temperature is affected by the accuracy of the probe, the tool used and the analog / digital signal. It is therefore recommended to accept a certain margin in the comparison of the maximum operating temperature and the temperature reported by the BIOS.

To cool the processor, there are several solutions:
    # Improve the exchange of air (by active cooling fans).
    # Ensure that fresh air from outside is facing components whose temperature is higher (CPU, graphics card, etc..), for example with side fans (see image below).
    # Ensure that the air from the hot components is vented outside the enclosure. The airflow perfect way to cool a PC are as follows, with blue inlets (if possible with dust filters), red hot vents (rear or top).