Thread: Windows Explorer can see hard drive but device manager and disk management doesn't show it

Windows Explorer can see hard drive but device manager and disk management doesn't show it

I am noticing some strange behavior on my computer. I am unable to see my Windows drive in Device Manager and in Disk Management but it is visible in Explorer. The major problem occurs when I want to take some backup or when I want to update Windows. In either of the cases, Windows fails and gives connection error. I tried using my antivirus software to make sure if its some kind of malware problem but computer scan results gives nothing. I am on Windows 7 computer.

Re: Windows Explorer can see hard drive but device manager and disk management doesn't show it

Clean boot your computer to make sure if its because of some other software or service causing the problem. Log on to the computer using an administrator account. Go to Start, type msconfig.exe in the Search box, and press ENTER. If you are prompted for a password or confirmation, type your password, and click Continue. In the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click the Load startup items check box. Go to the Services tab, click the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. Click OK, and then restart your computer.

Re: Windows Explorer can see hard drive but device manager and disk management doesn't show it

Update your BIOS and Chipset driver. Make sure Virtual Disk service is running "Automatic". If not then make the necessary changes. For this you have to go to Windows Services (Start - services.msc). If you are still facing the problem then you have to do System Restore.

Which hard drive are you using? IDE or SATA? If it is IDE then make sure you have 80 wire cable connected. If you are have 80 wire then change it and try with a new ide cable, because may be the wire is faulty. If it is SATA then did you installed the necessary drivers to look the drive can be seen?

Make sure you have the correct jumper settings for your drives. Also try to disable all the services and all the startups and see if the problem still occurs. Reboot your computer in Safe mode to see if it helps.