Thread: Li-Ion battery life : always discharge or always keep charged?

Li-Ion battery life : always discharge or always keep charged?

I have recently bought a new UL30Vt laptop battery for my Asus laptop and i am very much serious about taking care of this battery. can you guys help me to know the way i should use this battery. Actually i know that i should never drain this battery fully or never keep it sully charged for long time. But still i am getting confused to for maintaining the life of battery, Can anybody help me?

Re: Li-Ion battery life : always discharge or always keep charged?

I think you should never keep your battery fully charged as for doing it you will keep on charging your laptop battery again and again which makes its inner cells weak and hence the battery life get reduced. Then gradually the capacity to hold power goes on decreasing and finally it cannot hold any power and you have to just throw the battery. So never charge your battery until it gets low.

There are no special precautions for extending the life of battery as the capacity of battery is not going to increase by any chance so never try anything strange in order to make your laptop battery life more long lasting. Only thing you should always keep in mind that your battery should not be unused for long period of time no matter how much it has been charged as battery cells gets weaker by the surrounding environment and if the battery does not gets used then it get weaker day by day with its own liquid. It is simple that the some activities (using battery) needs to be done in battery after certain period.

Actually it applies to all the Li-Ion battery as if you charge up this batteries so frequently in order to keep them fully charged all the time then it is not good. Actually you should never charge your battery until and unless it has been lost its power up to LOW mark. Once it has been got low then you may start charging it but make sure that you unplug it as soon as it gets fully charged. It would be even better if bit amount of battery power has been left to reach full charge.

When you buy a new li-ion battery then it needs to be fully charged and then discharged. When it gets drained first time then electrolyte medium reacts with the cathode or may be anode which creates a thin layer, This layer would be preventing it from degrading. I do not know that this applies to all latest batteries as well or not but this is true. So you may try doing the same with your battery.

If suppose you want to charge your battery more faster and you are charging it from higher voltage then i recommend you to never do that as it decreases the battery's life. So there are not many ways by which you can make your battery life longer so it would be better to use your battery regularly and do not let it drain completely and never overcharge it. These two things can easily increase the life of your battery.