Thread: Please Help! USB ports/hubs deleted from Device Manager

Please Help! USB ports/hubs deleted from Device Manager

Hoping someone can help!!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-Y18GP.

Vodafone's advice over the phone on how to install their mobile broadband dongle onto my laptop has resulted in them getting me to delete the 3 USG Root Hubs from Universal Serial Bus controllers under Device Manager. Now I am not able to plug anything into either of the two USB ports on my laptop. When I called back they said I need to restore factory settings but could not advise further on how to do this.

I've looked extensively on web forums on how I restore factory settings on my laptop. The following have proved unsuccessful:
    a)Tapping F10 during start up
    b)Using the BIOS starting up system after hitting F2 during start-up. There was no restore settings option I could see
    c)Tried Control Panel>System>System Restore as also suggested. No option to restore settings in the System Restore box, only lists the C: and D: drives and lists the status of each as 'Monitoring'
    d)Another forum post suggesting selecting 'Vaio Recovery Wizard' from Control Panel. This is not a listed option in the Control Panel on my laptop
    e)Also tried to 'Add hardware' in Control Panel but brings up prompt to say another installation is under way and this must be completed first. This is with no other programs being installed.

Any advise on how to restore my USB hubs would be much appreciated. Seeing a tech is my only option after this and Vodafone have said they won't reimburse me, despite admitting they have made a mistake. Boo...

Apologies for the long post!

Bec

Re: Please Help! USB ports/hubs deleted from Device Manager

You can try to back up files using the Windows Backup and Restore Center feature:

1. Ensure all running programs are closed.

2. Insert a blank CD, DVD or BD disc in the optical drive.

NOTE: If an AutoPlay window appears for the disc you just inserted, click the X in the upper-right corner to close the window.

3. Click the Start button, select VAIO Recovery Center folder then select VAIO Recovery Center.

4. In the VAIO Recovery Center window, click Windows Backup and Restore then click Start button.

5. In the Backup and Restore Center window, click the Back up files button.

More information can be found here.

Re: Please Help! USB ports/hubs deleted from Device Manager

Thanks for the suggestion einstein_007.

I have no disc drive, I got rid of it a while back as I never use it. I guess I may have to try and get my hands on one then...