Thread: Flash a Dell SAS 5/iR with LSi firmware

Flash a Dell SAS 5/iR with LSi firmware

I tried working the 3081E-R flash convenience I downloaded from LSI support and it productively identified the card in fact the merely reason I am not posting a dissimilar topic on "SAS 5/ir bad flash recovery" is that the update efficacy did not have a firmware file for the meticulous chip revision I have, so it errored out. The flash convenience reported my card as a "LSI SAS 1068(B0)" and there are merely firm wares for revisions B1-B3 integrated in the file. I presently got a couple of Dell SAS 5/iR controller cards that I would similar to flash in excess of to the most recent LSI firmware. Please make a note of that these cards are not the full-fat PERC parity RAID cards, but the cut-down level 0, 1 & 10 siblings that I consider Dell shipped in the PowerEdge 1950 series. Be able to anybody advise me on which LSI firmware determine to run on this card. I would envisage that the SAS 3081E-R is the model that the majority directly matches the SAS 5/iR.

Re: Flash a Dell SAS 5/iR with LSi firmware

The contiguous match to that seems to be the LSI SAS1068 based on its PCI ID. Presently LSi's MSM organization efficacy does not observe the card with the Dell firmware installed on it. I did something comparable with an HP branded 3041e-r that in addition did not demonstrate up in the MSM utility. Once I flashed it to the most recent LSi code it appeared. One bonus I noticed when I started the MSM on this box. It originates the 3041e-r in the vSphere 4.0u1 box next to it and reported back a "green light" category. The ESXi does not report back to any further extent than that (extremely minimal CIM services obtainable) but it's sufficient to alert me there is something wrong.

I did a diminutive additional research and have accomplished that flashing these cards with an LSi firmware is almost certainly a terrible idea. I took the black heat sink off and originate there is an Intel PCI-X hub beneath, which give details why the chip was detected as a 1068, not a 1068e which is an inhabitant PCI-e part. Does anybody be familiar with what chip is under the factory heat sink on a PERC 5 card. Anyway, LSi does not even a representation that matches up to this card (1068 chip with PCI-e) so I would envisage that I determine to devastate a card previous to I get this running. I am in addition a lot less aggravated to do this at present for the reason that subsequent to being off over night the LSI MSM software is at present detecting the card installed locally.

I got my drives & cables simultaneously last night and installed the card. I originate that the card merely offered RAID levels 0 & 1, there was no substitute for 10, which is what I was looking for. The LSI flash script constructs the command that determine to eventually passed along to the flash program based on your reply to a couple of query regarding board bus type, chip revision, and model number. Those bits of information in sequence verify which firmware gets loaded onto the card, but the script always flashes the similar .rom file along with the unambiguous firmware. I figured the .rom file was where the characteristics were so I tried flashing presently the .rom file to the card. It accomplished and upon reboot the innovative bios was loaded. The preference to generate a RAID 10 volume was at present obtainable in the Array Creation screen so I completed an innovative volume and installed 2008 on it. So far it's worked extremely well and I am quite happy.

You have to grap that file from the internet extorted it and acquire a look at the .bat file inside to observe why this flash is not accurately straightforward. The .bat file includes 6 dissimilar firmwares depending on what chip you encompass on your card, 3 firmwares for PCI-E cards depending on chip rev and 3 for the PCI-X cards (the SAS 5 has a PCI-X bridge chip beneath the black heat sink) and one rom file that is the authentic BIOS that does the RAID functions. Your SAS 5 has a B0 rev chip which none of the firm wares matched so you basically flashed the BIOS rom onto the card using this command "sasflash -o -b MPTSAS.ROM". That seemed to exertion presently extremely well. The card came up with the innovative BIOS version or description numbers and you are capable to generate a RAID-10 volume. You are presently not using the flashed card for the reason that it hangs your AMD system when the controller card tries to load it's bios on bootup. Put out of action the controller BIOS let's it boot extremely well.

Well I flashed this most recent bios onto together my SAS 5/ir and my LSi 3041-E cards and they tranquil would not boot on my AMD system. Here's what I be familiar with: I flashed the 3041 using the .bat file integrated in the exceeding firmware .zip file. I did a "factory permitted" flash of the card at the same time as I presently flashed the mpt .rom file onto the SAS 5 as I described beyond. Mutually flashed productively, they in addition together run present file if I boot the system off the onboard RAID with the card installed and bios facilitated without several drives attached. If I try to boot it with the drives hooked up it hangs right subsequent to the card gets completed detecting the RAID layout. Here's the interesting thing. If I delete the RAID config off the drives and try to boot the system I get a "Searching for apparatus at HBA0" message as predictable then the system locks up with a "Warning, 1 drives are reported. BIOS memory allotment is full" message. That give explanation the lockup on boot, the RAID bios on the card is too big to load at startup.

Regrettably I encompass not ever tried a 5/e so I might not tell you definitively if it would run or not, but it seems that if you cannot get it to locate the BBU, chances are something is dissimilar. I did an attractive comprehensive search on the internets when my 5/i's BBU was messed up to try to locate a pin diagram or several kind of cooperative suggestion but regrettably found nothing. This was a year ago, but, I am anxious that you are on your own on this one. I would absolutely contact the seller. I encompass a couple buddies at Dell that I am able to ask, but they were not extremely supportive in the past it’s worth a shot although. I determine to observe what they come back with, in view of the fact that I have been wondering myself for a short time at present.

I have an sas1068-ir card , could somebody help me to configure a raid 0+1 in this card pleaseeee help

Quote Originally Posted by maryvargas View Post
    I have an sas1068-ir card , could somebody help me to configure a raid 0+1 in this card pleaseeee help
    It depends on what OS you're planning to use. The RAID FAQ was written mainly for Windows XP. Vista and 7 already have RAID drivers built-in. Basically, if your OS asks you to insert a disk containing your RAID drivers, then we shouldn't disappoint it, right? If your motherboard supports it, you can enable it right in the BIOS.