Thread: PSU cuts out when Peltier unit connected

PSU cuts out when Peltier unit connected

My system configuration is 4GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, Gigabyte motherboard and 1GB GPU. Recently I had changed my cpu fan and added a liquid cooling support for better cooling. After that my system is not working. When I turn the system on it works for some while and then goes off. I think my PSU is not so strong for this. For that purpose I am looking for a better PSU unit for my system. I need help for that. How to determine the power usage of the system.

Re: PSU cuts out when Peltier unit connected

Buy Vantec VAN-400B. Its maximum power was measured at 414 watts. If overloaded, the VAN-400B extinguished thoroughly and can restart without problems with a short cooling period. The black dot is the noise level relatively high (39-42 dB (A)) This 400-watt power supply with two fans. That offers you automatic, medium, slow: even if we can control the speed of the fan, the noise level is still relatively high.

In Vantec VAN-400B it is true that the user can control the speed of the fan with a switch makes no difference. Moreover, efficiency of 66% is just satisfactory. Vantec provides two adapters for connecting SATA drives. The cable length is very good: 106cm cable for HDD and 58cm for the ATX cable. Both SATA adapters supplied in the box is another positive point.

The first data on the maximum power which can be 420 watts for example is not of so importance. Manufacturers typically indicate the maximum combined power lines 3.3 and 5 volts (220 watts) and / or the maximum combined power lines +3.3, +5 and +12 volts ( 400 watts). These numbers indicate the real power of 3.3 and 5 volt bus and the bus +3.3, +5 and +12 volts in combination.

The difference between the maximum power (420 watts) and the combined maximum power (400 watts) is comprised of the standby power lines and at -5 and -12 volts now useless with most systems. A tip: if the value for the combined power lines at +3.3, +5 and +12 volts is not specified, it can be evaluated more or less correctly by subtracting 20 watts of maximum power announced.

A high power and low noise are the two main things to consider when buying a power supply, but we must also worry about the equipment. The number of outlets for 5.25 and 3.5 inches is crucial, but also the length and number of son of the cable. The number of HDD and FDD and taken their son on the distribution cable are also included into consideration. With power levels, it is important to spread the load between several cables because there are too few cables, they may be overloaded in case of high overall load.

In a high-end system, you can have peaks of over 350 watts. These values are used to calculate the relative weight of each wire. It actually measures whether the power supplies remain tensions within the standards they are working. To better compare products of different power classes, these measurements were carried out according to power levels that can be 300, 350, 400 and 450 watts, depending on the power class of candidates.