Thread: HP 1140 dvdrw with lightscribe

HP 1140 dvdrw with lightscribe

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP service pack 3 on it. Recently I bought a HP 1140 DVD-rw with lightscribe and installed it on the computer. I also have a separate CR-RW drive installed on the computer. The problem which I am facing is, whenever I put a blank disc in the DVD-rw drive, it shows up as a CD drive only. I cant figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar problems with HP 1140 dvdrw with lightscribe then please suggest some solutions.

Re: HP 1140 dvdrw with lightscribe

Check if the appropriate drivers for the DVD writer are installed and working on the computers. Drivers are necessary set of drivers which are to be installed on the computer to make the device work properly. If the proper drivers are not installed on the computer, then the device will not work properly and hence will give some problems. Go to device manager and see if the appropriate drivers are installed and working on the computer or not.

Sometimes the motherboard of the computer does not support all the devices which are connected. If the device which is connected to the computer is not supported by the motherboard it will not function properly. Therefore first check if the dvd drive is supported by the motherboard or not. If the dvd drive is not supported then it will not work properly and hence get a dvd drive which will be supported by the motherboard.

I think the DVD drive is connected in slave mode and hence it is not detecting the DVD drive. As you have one more CD drive attached to the computer, there is high chances of conflict between the two devices. Check if the CD drive is configured in slave mode or not. Configure the CD drive in Slave mode and DVD drive in master mode and see if the problem is solved.

The connecting cable which is used to connect the DVD drive to the motherboard is a 40 pin IDE cable. If the cable is faulty then the communication between the DVD drive and the motherboard will not be proper which will lead to problems which are similar to the one you are facing. Therefore Try and change the connecting cable of the DVD drive and see if the problem is solved or not.

Scan the system with an updated antivirus as there is a high possibility that the system is infected with some kind of virus. Virus's have the tendency to get linked with the files of the operating system or the applications which are used frequently. If such a situation occurs then the application or the operating system will not work properly. Hence scan the system and repair the files which are infected. After repairing the infected files check if the system is working properly.

The DVD drive which you are using must be faulty due to which the drive is not getting detected. Hence get the DVD drive checked by some technician and if the drive is faulty then you can get it replaced. To check the DVD drive, you can try and connect the DVD drive to some other computer. If the drive gets detected on the other computer, you will not have to replace the drive.