Thread: Drivers for HP C4280 not able to install in Windows 7

Drivers for HP C4280 not able to install in Windows 7

Hello. I have a desktop machine and it is been installed with Windows 7 operating system. I have no idea what could have been the issue but i have a HP C4280 printer and it is not been able to work out well as the drivers are not getting install to the same. Please do help me out so that I can make the issue to be sorted. Thank you.

Re: Drivers for HP C4280 not able to install in Windows 7

The issue could be well been related to the application driver that you have. It could be that the application is not able to work or function as there may be some bugs appended. It would be very much essential to make a reinstall in order to work out with the application well. So do check out for the issue . This would then help in sorting the issue. Check out.

You can process out the function by following the steps that would then be implemented. Check out:

• Insert the setup disk in your CD/DVD drive. Choose to view the files in Explorer Scroll down to the file "Setup," which is identified as an application
    • Right-click the file and select "Properties." Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the resulting window
    • Check off "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista" from the pop-up menu
    • ALSO check "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom of the window.
    • Press "Apply," then "OK"

There is another way through which you can make the issue to be sorted. I hope this process or steps should be able to function well accordingly. It is as follows:

1. Download the HP Printer driver install EXE file from the HP website for your printer under Vista, according to 32 or 64 bit as required
    2. Place install file on your desktop to find it easily
    3. Right-click the EXE file and 7-Zip to extract the contents of the EXE file into a directory on the desktop
    4. (WinRAR can also be used to extract the contents.)
    5. Open that directory and scroll down to Setup which is identified as an application
    6. Right-click the file and select "Properties." Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the resulting window
    7. Check off "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista" from the pop-up menu
    8. Check "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom of the window, then press "Apply," then "OK"
    9. Scroll down the directory until you find the “autorun” file which is identified as Setup Information
    10. Open the autorun.ini file and scroll down the text file until you find: oslist=600,600_64
    11. 600 is Vista 32 operating system and 600_64 is Vista 64 operating system.
    12. Edit this line in NotePad to: oslist=600,600_64,601
    13. 601 is Windows 7 operating system which will allow the install to work in Windows 7
    14. Save your changes to the same file.
    15. Make sure your printer is powered up and the USB cable is disconnected from the printer
    16. Double-click the "Setup" file and run the software installer.
    17. If you did everything correctly, the install should now completely install your HP printer in Windows 7
    18. You can burn the directory contents onto a CD and make yourself a new HP Printer Install for Windows 7

The issue could be that the admin might have restricted the rights in order to make the application to get install to the system using normal user account. It would be better that would then help out in making the issue to get supported. You need right click on the .exe file and then run as administrator and get access to the same. This should work.

If you are not able to get access to the admin account then it would be better that you need to create a new account from the control panel option and thus make the things to work out well by giving the admin rights to the same. In the control panel option open the user account. option and then fill in the parameters. Now choose admin as account type in the manage section. After that restart the system and login using newly created account.

SUCCESS!

Finally! Okay, so I was going to go hacking INF files and all that, but I thought I would try one last thing. See, before I had been using VirtualBox which had XP installed, and it worked. However, I did not like this solution, as it was tedious. I wanted it to work straight from my Windows 7 x64.

Previously I had tried using the XP drivers, but they did not work, even in compatibility mode. Then it hit me. I had to use the x64 XP drivers. How could I have overlooked that. Anyways... Oh, also, you can't just run the full application in compatibility mode. You have to run the Setup.exe file itself in compatibilty mode. That means you need to extract the file and access the Setup.exe file directly.

So, a problem and solution:
    Problem: Windows 7 x64 drivers from the HP site are faulty
    Solution: Use the Windows XP x64 drivers from the HP site.

Here is how you do it:
    1a) Go to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3192753
    1b) If you have a different version of printer, just google "hp printer drivers [your model # here]" without quotes.

2a) Select from the dropdown menu: Microsoft Windows XP x64
    2b) If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, then choose: Microsoft Windows XP (don't choose the x64 version)

3) Download the "HP Photosmart Basic Driver"
    (2009-07-22 , Version:9.0.1, 36.55M)

4) Once it is downloaded, move it to it's own folder (I made a folder called "C4280 Printer Driver" but you can call the folder whatever you want.)

5) Download and install either 7-zip (free) or Winrar

6) Go to the XP Printer driver file (should be named "PS_AIO_DriverOnly_NonNetwork_ENU_NB.exe"), and right-click it.

a) For 7-zip, hover on "7-zip" in the right-click menu, and choose "extract here".
    b) For Winrar, choose "extract here" from the right-click menu (located next the the icon with three purple and green books).

7) Right-click on "setup.exe" in the extracted folder. Should be near the bottom.

a) Choose "Properties" from the right-click menu.
    b) Click the "Compatibility" tab
    c) Click the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows XP SP3"
    d) Click the box "Run this program as an administrator"
    e) Click the OK button.

NOTE: It still says the drivers are not successfully installed. Don't worry, that is wrong this time. It works now.

Having other computer problems? Feel free to ask me. Go to and send me a note. I'll be glad to help you.
    Last edited by everplexmedia; 29-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.