Thread: Brother-HL-2170W Printer not working

Brother-HL-2170W Printer not working

Hello, I have desktop computer which is installed with Windows 7 operating system on it. Recently I bought a Brother-HL-2170W Printer and connected it to the computer but the printer is not getting recognized. Whent the printer is powered on, system gives an error message saying "This Device cannot be used". Is there any fault with the printer? If anybody knows why my Brother-HL-2170W Printer is not working then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue.

Re: Brother-HL-2170W Printer not working

Which version of Windows 7 are you using? The earlier releases of Windows 7 have lot of compatibility issues with many of the devices which are installed on the computer. Due to this incompatibility issue many of the devices do not work properly on Windows 7. This incompatibility issue arises due to unavailability of the drivers. Therefore go to the official website of the manufacturer and download the latest drivers which are available for the model of the printer which you are using and which is supported by Windows 7 operating system. Once the appropriate drivers are installed, you will not face the same problem again.

By looking at the problem I think the connecting cord which is used to connect the printer to the computer is faulty. For connecting the printer to the computer, you are using a USB cord. USB cord consist of lines of conductors which can get damaged due to improper handling and storage. If any of the lines of the conductor gets damaged then the communication between the computer and the device will not be proper and hence it will not get detected by the computer. Therefore try and change the connecting cord and see if the printer gets detected. You can also try and change the port on which the printer is connected and check if the situation improves.

It is possible that the printer itself is faulty and hence it is not getting detected by the computer. To be confirm if the printer is faulty or not. Try to reset the printer and then connect the printer to the computer. Sometimes the firmware of the printer gets stuck and hence the printer will not be detected. To bring the printer out of the loop, you will have to reset the printer, to reset the printer, press and hold the power and paper feed button together while starting the printer. Keep the buttons pressed till all the LED's on the printer glow. Once all the LED's glow, release the button and let the printer restart. Check if the printer gets detected or not. If the printer still does not get detected, then get the printer replaced as it is faulty.

Thank you all for replying to the post really fast. As suggested I searched and downloaded the latest drivers for the printer which are supported by Windows 7. After installing the drivers, the printer got detected and installed. Now the printer works fine on the computer.Now I want to share the printer on the network and hence I want to know the steps for sharing the same printer on the network. So please help me in this.

Sharing printer on Windows 7 is very easy. Just follow the steps below to share the printer on Windows 7 :-
    • Click on Start menu and Select Devices and Printers.
    • Now click on Printer Icon.
    • Select Customize your Printer.
    • Now Select Properties and go to Sharing Tab.
    • Check mark the box which says "Share the Printer"
    • Now select the Printer name.
    • Save and apply the settings.