Thread: Advanced troubleshooting when not able to print in Windows XP

Advanced troubleshooting when not able to print in Windows XP

Hi friends,
    I am using Windows XP as operating system. I am facing lot of issues while printing any documents. I have tried to do lot of things for the troubleshooting but not succeeded yet. So I am asking you can you provide some advanced troubleshooting so that I can use the print command normally.?! Hope that you are getting my point.! Please provide me advanced troubleshooting when not able to print in Windows XP.!! Thanks in Advance.!!
    Don't be afraid of darkness, it's in your heart anyway.

Re: Advanced troubleshooting when not able to print in Windows XP

If the printer is connected to an LPT port, check if you can print from a command prompt. If the printer is not a PostScript printer, type dir> lpt1 at a command prompt and then press ENTER. You may need to do this several times to fill the print buffer on some printers. Printers salary per page (eg laser printers) generally do not start to print until a PCL form feed command is sent or when the buffer contains more information than a single page. Running the command dir> lpt1 from the Windows directory will fill the page buffer.

If it is a PostScript printer, printing from a command prompt does not work. If you can print from a command prompt, the parallel port driver and the hardware are working correctly. This eliminates the GDI (Graphics Device Interface) and the driver as possible causes. If the output is printed on the printer from the dir command, the printer driver or printer configuration is probably the source of the problem. Make sure the printer cable meets the IEEE 1284 specification. If this is not the case, the cable itself is marked accordingly.

To test the printer driver, check if you can print from WordPad or Notepad. If you can print from WordPad or Notepad, or the problem is related to the program you use, Windows is running can not be a print order required by the particular program. Refer to "Checking Program" section.
    • If you are using a PostScript printer, load the Apple LaserWriter NT driver. This is the basic PostScript driver. Using this driver can help you determine if the problem is related to PPD (PostScript Printer Description) for printer.
    • If the printer is not PostScript, load the printer driver Generic / Text Only. This is a printer driver base. Using this driver can help you determine if battery basic printing works properly.
    • If you are using a plotter, load the driver plotter Hewlett-Packard HP-GL / 2.

Print a different file and easier. For example, create a document that contains less information. This test determines if the problem is due to the program or document content. Check the available disk space on drive system by checking if a small print job prints successfully. Check if you can print from another operating system. If printing is successful, the problem is related to the output file. If the printer does not print when you use the basic drivers, see the section "Check the printing stack" section.

I would like to suggest you to do the Battery Check Printing, that can be done as follows :
    1. Remove and reinstall the printer driver. If you use a service pack, reinstall the service pack after you reinstall the printers.
    2. Check the available space on the hard disk. Print jobs can not print if there is not enough space for spooling.