Thread: Wifi signal problem on Asus UL30A notebook

Wifi signal problem on Asus UL30A notebook

Just few weeks before i had bought an Asus UL30A notebook. It came with a pre-installed Se7en on it. Form last few days i had been facing some problem, whenever i used to plug the HDMI cable (from my TV screen) on my UL30 notebook. So i had changed nothing but one driver (graphic card I think) to solve the audio problem with HDMI. After doing so i'm not able to get wifi signal on my notebook. Can any one tell me that what i need to do to resolve wifi signal problem on my Asus UL30A notebook? Any one has any idea about it? Please help me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: Wifi signal problem on Asus UL30A notebook

Wireless access points (AP) normally have a built in Wi-Fi antenna that radiates a signal equally well in all directions over distances of 250-300 feet (76-91 meters). If you install a wireless card that uses "2.3W average when in use" as a replacement for one that uses a "maximum of 0.020W", you'll increase you'll increase power consumption of the overall system by ~2.3W to ~10.7W.

I suppose it depends on the CPU in the UL20.. if its the celeron it might be different. But generally I think the UL20 and UL30 is about the same machine in a small and smaller package. Using an after market external omni-directional antenna that is stronger (around 5dB) than the AP's built in antenna (around 2dB) can produce a stronger signal and better network performance.

Many new notebook computers contain built-in Wi-Fi network adapters. The problem is, the Netgear DG834 signals dies outside a 20 meter radius. These adapters are integrated circuit chips. Other wireless laptops utilize external network adapters such as PCMCIA cards or USB adapters. MOST client cards do not support external antennas. That portion is useless. MANY access points do not support external antennas.

I would try and buy a wi-fi booster to boost your signal for you. A wireless laptop with limited range is likely to suffer from slow or dropped Internet connections. I use the Wi-Fire from hfield technologies and it works great. I am able to view more wireless network connections and improve my signal strength from a distance.

However, I would be grateful if you could give me your view of another product that I found, which is a USB Wireless Adaptor with a 4dBi external antenna, which can be replaced with a larger antenna if needed. Some network adapters support adjusting their transmission power. If available, this setting can be adjusted through the adapter's driver interface program, along with the other settings for wireless profiles and Wi-Fi channel number.