Thread: External USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure stops responding on Windows XP.?!

External USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure stops responding on Windows XP.?!

Hiii...,,
    I am facing the problem with my External Hard-drive. When I connect it to my system having the Windows XP (pro) as operating system, it gets detected properly. But when I try to do some functions like copying I get the Error message "The source disk cannot be found". At starting of the copying it seems to be working fine but after some time this error message pops up. All I have to do is take out the power and the USB connector and plug them back in again and then start the whole process again. Please help me soon..
    Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it.-- Max Frisch 1911 -1991

Re: External USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure stops responding on Windows XP.?!

First make sure that you are inserting your External hard drive into the 2.0 USB. Also install the latest USB drivers. Before installing the drivers try to uninstall the existing one and then install the newer version. Maybe that is working slow because you are not plugging the external HDD into 2.0 or the drivers are not latest. Installing the latest driver will isolate this issue.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I was facing the similar issue but with my laptop which was having the Windows XP. I just uninstall the drivers of USB from the Control Panel. When I restarted my machine the drivers was automatically recognized by the Windows and installed that. Later on when I downloaded the latest driver, after uninstalling the driver without restarting the system I installed the new drivers. Then I was successful and from that onwards I am using the external HDD without any issue.

If you are using an anti virus or the Fire wall then before doing any program from the external HDD try to stop that. Many times the process is slow while copying or any other process when you turn on the firewall or the Anti virus. Maybe this can help you in sorting this issue.

This can also happen if there are some malware or the Virus in your external HDD or in your system. So try to scan your system and your external HDD by using the updated anti virus. Maybe that can catch some Worms or Trojans (types of Virus) which are causing this problem.