Thread: Usually 600 watt PSU will last for how long?

Usually 600 watt PSU will last for how long?

I have purchased system with configuration: e6850 @ 3.6ghz | abit IP35 Pro | 4gb mushkin pc2 6400 | x-fi fatal1ty | 150gig raptor | xfx 5850 | pc power and cooling 610watt psu. Right now machine is working properly but want to know how long the 600watt PSU will last for?? and thus increasing PSU will increase my machine speed??
    Help me please with problem.

Re: Usually 600 watt PSU will last for how long?

According to knowledge of hardware peripherals, i would say a well made one can last for at least 8 to 10 years, and if the electrolytic capacitors starts drying up then it may need to replace a fan or two in that time. Otherwise no problem should come to use till at least 8years. And most important its upon you also, how maintain your system. So, if you want that 600 watt PSU should till 8-10years, then maintain the system properly and regularly, also system should have good surround atmosphere.
    Last edited by Hardwareman; 26-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.

I think its a very hard question, it is not easy to answer this question as there is many variables attach to it. Variables like duty cycle, ambient temp, average loading, peak loading, Temperature, capacitors, system cooling, fan, power surges, manufacturer component changes, lubing/dust maintenance interval and probably a many other things. I can't tell exact but well maintain one should atleast last for 5years.

Now a days, some motherboard makers(manufactures) have gone to all solid capacitors for better performance and longer life , but still some of the capacitors in PSU's are just too big for that(means no that solid for longer life). So, think the 600 watt PSU would last til 2years(min). And yes increasing the PSU will increase the speed of machine. But i would suggest that if you increasing graphic card than only do it otherwise 600watt is enough with your current configuration.

You told the configuration of your system, in that you only told that it is 610 PSU , should also tell supply or at least the amperage specs for the +3.3v, +5v & +12v rails. And want to tell that i m also using same PSU you are using but supply may be different of us, then also my PSU is working from 2004 till now correctly. So, think so rough figure would be around 6-7years long it will last. Its but obvious if you increasing the PSU then your machine would run faster and nicely.
    Last edited by RoninBlade; 26-12-2009 at 12:00 PM.

My experience say that many PSU manufactures are using polymer capacitors on the secondary.But in PSU, polymer capacitors are not necessary, because they are not as prone to failure as those on say the CPU VRM on a motherboard. So, if using the correct polymer capacitor and using them wisely does seem to help increase performance and life also. So i think it would last for at least 3-4years, and increasing the PSU will make impact on machine speed, but not that much also.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoey Mod View Post
    I have purchased system with configuration: e6850 @ 3.6ghz | abit IP35 Pro | 4gb mushkin pc2 6400 | x-fi fatal1ty | 150gig raptor | xfx 5850 | pc power and cooling 610watt psu. Right now machine is working properly but want to know how long the 600watt PSU will last for?? and thus increasing PSU will increase my machine speed??
    Help me please with problem.
    FSP 500W power supply has been in my system for 5 years..It works well till now....Just for your information!!

Quote Originally Posted by UPS View Post
    FSP 500W power supply has been in my system for 5 years..It works well till now....Just for your information!!
    More info for the model i have been using....Blue Storm II 500W!!
    One thing I dont like is its color.....Blue!! It is quite special though...