Thread: Laptop Keyboard Holding Shift..

Laptop Keyboard Holding Shift..

I am having a Acer Aspire 4736z laptop which was working flawlessly some days before. Now there is strange problem of the keyboard. Sometimes I have to hold down the shift button so I cant type in lower case. (Even though the Caps Lock is Off). Or sometimes I have to hold the shift+ any letter and it won't type. I am not able to trace the exact problem. I am wondering is this an error of OS or the keyboard.?? I am using the Windows Vista as operating system. Help me soon..

Thanks In Advance..!!
    |===================|
    |YAY if that made sense...|
    |===================|

Re: Laptop Keyboard Holding Shift..

This can happen if you turned on the sticky keys. This gets activated when you press the shift key for several time within short period of time. I would like to suggest you to disable the sticky keys.

Click on Start Button. Then go in Settings and then Control Panel. Double click on the Accessibility Options present in Control Panel. You will see the "keyboard tab", in that uncheck the "Use sticky keys" option if it is checked. Then click on the Settings Button and also Uncheck option "Use shortcut", so that in future pressing the Shift key will not start the Stick Key. This should fix your problem.

Try to scan your system by updated Anti Virus. I know that this is not consequences of the Virus infection, but you can give a try. The other option is you can use the External Keyboard for typing purpose, if nothing is working.

I would like to tell you to download the keyboard test software. Using this software you will able to know the exact problem. I don't think that it is operating system's error. By using the keyboard test software, you will know whether the problem is of shift key, because it will register with every push, that you will know while using the software.

I know that OS is not involved in this error. But then also try to repair the OS. Even then if same problem is persisting then there is definitely the keyboard issue and you will have to change it. First try to turn off the sticky key option as mentioned by Killen. Hope that your problem will resolve soon.!!