Thread: Dvi to hdmi audio problem

Dvi to hdmi audio problem

I recently purchased a LG LCD television with a centrex CTDV800HD stb. I am using the integrated realtek audio and a Sapphire Hd 3870 to a 46 inch Sony Bravia TV. I noticed next to the DVI out on the back of the STB is an OPTICAL audio out, does this mean that he only way I can enjoy AUDIO is to purchase a optical cable and a surround sound system? However, I am unable to select the HDMI option as my default and it says it is not plugged in, it automatically sets Digital output as my default and shows that it is playing but again no sound comes out of the TV speakers (which are correctly configured). Can any one tell me that why i'm facing Dvi to hdmi audio problem? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Dvi to hdmi audio problem

Cables are generally not a source of problems - until cable lengths factor into the system. If there is no patch to the vid card and you are using a dvi-hdmi cable, then just make sure that the audio out you are using off the sound card is enabled.

I believe that DVI and HDMI share the same signal. they just have a different connector. that is why you have a DVI to HDMI adapter. If you are using the analog ports, make sure "digital out only" isnt selected in the sound card controls. if you are still using the spdif out via the optical or coax out, make sure the "digital out" setting is selected.

You can use a DVI to HDMI converter cable however you will need a secondary path for the audio. You must use the rca analog (red and white) to connect your Dish Network receiver to your tv. Look on the back of your tv at the input panel and there should be an rca audio input near the HDMI connector use this to connect for tv sound.

The DVI only deals with video and does not carry any audio signals. So you will still need a separate audio cable. If i plug a hdmi cable from the DVI-HDMI converter will i get audio on my tv from the PC? The only problem with having to do DVI to HDMI is that you need audio jacks to get audio because DVI does not support it. You may also want to check your television's audio input. Is the HDMI on the same board as the analog audio inputs? If they are not, you are probably feeding the audio into a different set of inputs. You may have HDMI on Video 1 and the audio feed is going into Video 2.