Thread: Space reduced of Pen Drive after format

Space reduced of Pen Drive after format

I have the 16GB transcend Pen Drive. But the space of this pen drive is reduced to 2GB after formatting it. This pen dive was infected with the Viruses so i formatted it. But after formatting when i saw the storage capacity , it was showing only 2GB. Is this possible? I am not able to believe this. I need a help, How can i recover the 16GB storage space of this pen drive again?

Re: Space reduced of Pen Drive after format

So your 16GB transcend Pen Drive became 2GB after formatting. Your pen drive was infected with the Viruses. So you formatted it . First you should have scanned the Pen Drive for viruses using the Anti-virus software from the computer and deleted it. there are many anti-virus software available for scanning and removing the viruses from the computer system as well as from the Pen Drives. You can download one of them. I will suggest you to download the AVG Anti-virus software for this purpose.

You said your pen drive was previously having several viruses and you formatted the Pen Drive to remove those viruses. It is possible that the Pen drive was damaged by this viruses or it is corrupted . So that when you the pen drive the storage space of the pen drive is reduced. The storage location is corrupted and only 2GB is remaining for the storage. Other storage sectors of the pen drive is damaged or corrupted.
    Last edited by Maxforu; 08-12-2009 at 05:50 AM.

However you can recover the pen drives storage to the 16GB by again formatting it. Again format the pen drive by selecting Quick format option from the selection menu. IF this does not solves ie returns the pen drive space to 16GB then format the pen drive by normal method. Do not select the Quick Format option from the options and select the FAT32 file system. this will clear all the errors of the pen drive and the storage capacity will return to the 16GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos16 View Post
    I have the 16GB transcend Pen Drive. But the space of this pen drive is reduced to 2GB after formatting it. This pen dive was infected with the Viruses so i formatted it. But after formatting when i saw the storage capacity , it was showing only 2GB. Is this possible? I am not able to believe this. I need a help, How can i recover the 16GB storage space of this pen drive again?
    how to increase the size

Quote Originally Posted by lokeshkarthikeyan View Post
    how to increase the size
    There is no way that you can increase the size of the pen drive, the pen drive has a circuit board with solid state memory that amounts to some megabytes to gigabytes of size. No matter what you do, that mbs of gbs can never be upgraded beyond it's existing size. The ONLY way to upgrade is to open your pen drive (impossible or extremely difficult) and replace it with a new solid state chip.