Thread: Windows Vista "C" Drive Filling Up Too Quickly

Windows Vista "C" Drive Filling Up Too Quickly

I'm running Windows Vista as my operating system. Due to some problem i had reinstalled Windows Vista on my pc. Just few days back I got an error message saying my memory was almost full. When I looked to see how much memory I had on my computer it said "960 MB." Five minutes later it said "950" then "941" "930" etc. Can any one tell me that why does my Windows Vista "C" Drive Filling Up Too Quickly? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Windows Vista "C" Drive Filling Up Too Quickly

Make sure the folders are not really hidden on your pc. Open Windows Explorer. Right click the C: drive. To configure drive for quick removal, Open Device Manager; expand "Disk drives" node; double click drive in question; on the Policies tab make sure "Optimize for quick removal" radio-button is checked.On the General Tab, look at the option "Index this drive for faster searching" and make sure that there is a check mark in that option.

You are losing space (the C: drive) not memory (ram). There is a big difference. As far as msconfig, it's not there, it's a service run services.msc and you can disable/enable the "Windows Search" service. Since you reloaded check the drive to see if the old version is still there. If so it can probably be deleted. The continual dropping of your space could indicate spyware and/or a virus. Try starting in safe mode and run both an anti-virus and anti-spyware scan.

May be your search indexing service is causing this problem. I would suggest that you rebuild the service. In the Windows Features window make sure the Indexing Service is unchecked. If the service is stopped or disabled, the Explorer will not be able to display virtual folder views of items, and search in the Explorer will fall back to item-by-item slow search."