Thread: PCL XL Error HP 4200 printer

PCL XL Error HP 4200 printer

Hi,

I have an HP 4200 printer. I keep getting this error page print out instead of what I was printing. What does this mean? I was printing fine and now I am getting this error. I can't figure out what I did wrong. The error messages is as bellow:

PCL XL Error
    Subsystem: Kernel
    Error: Illegal Tag
    Operator: 0x1b
    Position: 320

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: PCL XL Error HP 4200 printer

A PCL XL error indicates that the printer has received a print command that it can not interpret. PCL XL error pages that are printed on the printer when using the PCL XL 6 (Enhanced) printer driver usually indicate a communication problem. To workaround the issue, you may try to connect your PC directly to the printer using an IEEE-1284 compliant cable..

Which driver are you using? PCL5, PCL6? what are you tring to print? PDF? Word, excel? I had this issue printing PDF's with the PCL 6 driver. PCL XL Error can be also due to software conflicts, communications issues or something wrong with the PCL 6 driver (corrupted driver install, etc). You can get the driver from here: HP LaserJet BETA Software . Look for the "PCL-XL Error Fix" header.

I have the same problem, when I print more then one (WORD) document I get the following error messages. The printer is connected to our network via it's jet direct connection. What may the problem ??

PCL XL error
    Subsystem: KERNEL
    Error: IllegalOperatorSequence
    Operator: EndChar
    Position: 36

This is an issue with other HP Series. I found a work around by disabling Print Optimizations under Printing Preferences. This error can also be caused by an incompatibility between the Enhanced XL language and the software application that is associated with the file being printed. To install the PS driver in the following manner - Hp Support.