Thread: Xp error "error No wave device that can play files in the current format is installed"

Xp error "error No wave device that can play files in the current format is installed"

Hi, i need a urgent help from you all guys.. I am using a Windows XP computer at my home. Its working fine without any issue but today when i turned on my Computer and tried to play any track in Windows Media player, the system gives me an error message saying, "No wave device that can play files in the current format is installed." I have never seen this error before. Could you guys please guide me to fix out this error ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Xp error "error No wave device that can play files in the current format is installed"

I am not sure about the cause of this problem but in order to fix it, plug a different output device into the computer. For example, if you have been using speakers, try a different pair of speakers or a set of headphones to make sure that the problem is not related to the device itself. Determine whether you can hear sound. If you can hear sound, there is a problem with the original output device and the issue is resolved.

Also try using another program different from Windows Media Player to see whether the sound card is working correctly. For example, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Entertainment, and then click Sound Recorder.

Re: Xp error "error No wave device that can play files in the current format is installed"

I don't know what might be causing this issue. But i'll suggest you to use the Sound Troubleshooter. To start Sound Troubleshooter manually, just go through this:-

• Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
    • Under Pick a Help Topic, click Fixing a problem.
    • In the navigation pane on the left, click Games, sound, and video problems.
    • In the topic pane, on the right side, click Sound Troubleshooter.

I think some another program is currently using your sound card, so it is not available for Windows Media Player to use. To first of all check the default devices. To do this Click Start, and then click Control Panel, Click Sound and Audio Devices, and then click Audio, Make sure that the default devices are listed here.

Also update the sound card driver. In order to update:-

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    • Click the Hardware tab.
    • Expand Sound, video, and game controllers.
    • Double-click the sound card, and then click the Driver tab.
    • Click Update Driver.
    • Follow the Hardware Update Wizard to update the sound card driver.

If there is only problem with Windows Media player, than i don't think the sound card may be the issue. I'll suggest you to better update your Media Player software and try. To obtain the latest version of the Windows Media Player, visit this Microsoft Web site.

If you receive a message that the device is not working correctly, the sound card is not listed, or you must obtain driver software, contact your sound card manufacturer for more help. You may also have to contact the computer manufacturer if you find that the steps to update the sound card driver do not work.