Thread: External Hard Drive-No power

External Hard Drive-No power

Hello,
    I have external Hard Drive 80 gig USB 2.0. suddenly it lost power. and now it doesn't work.I have files on that drive and i need that file.It may be happen cause excess amount of power supply. Now what should i do for that?? Any suggestion?

Re: External Hard Drive-No power

It may be cause of the excess power given for the External drive that have damaged the drive itself.
    1. Buy another External Hard Drive enclose with power supply and move the drive from the old enclosure and place it in the new.
    2.If it an EIDE drive if its SATA you may have to get an additional SATA cable. Remove the drive from the existing enclose and place it directly into your machine as a secondary drive as long the drive is the same type (EIDE or SATA) as the one in your machine this should work without an issue. This is pretty much as easy as installing RAM, Video Cards, Etc.

A fuse or protection in the external drives power supply circuit may be get corrupted.That's why hard disk not working.Try to,witching power supply from an external hard drive unit.It comes with a hard drive connector and fan.It supplies 12V and 5V, there may be other voltages and polarities as well.The supply also has a fuse, you need to supply the AC power cord and an optional switch.May be that's work.

The external device will have to carefully plugged or unplugged .power up this device in wrong way that will cause a hardware failure.It blew a small fuse that was fairly easily mended, but it could also burn out the netBook's 5V supply, etc. - your netBook will fail to boot!One quick fix is to short the fuse by wrapping this item with a thin, very thin, wire; it is work in a tiny space to be sure. It will be recommended that use external power supply as per the volts required for your hard disk.Try on another system and run file recovery.