Thread: IDE to USB issue in Windows 7

IDE to USB issue in Windows 7

Hi,
    I have a computer running Windows 7 with two hard drives. Once of 160Gb and other of 1TB. Now I had unplugged a SATA hard disk from my office PC to get some very important back up to the home computer. For the same I had purchased a IDE to USB enclosure. When I start up the computer and plugged in the drive Windows 7 computer does not show up the drive. I had tried it many times but no success yet. Is the IDE to USB enclosure is damaged or any other problem. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: IDE to USB issue in Windows 7

First connect the hard disk and restart your system. Ensure that the hard drive is working and you have attached a proper power supply to it. Then after restart a pop up message must appear denoting new hard ware found. After that run CMD. In the command promp furn fdisk /mbr command. Then after that run scandisc /all command. Check in my computer back again. If nothing happens then change the enclosure and try back.

It is necessary that the hard disk must be listed in the BIOS. Do this disconnect the extra hard disk of your computer. Then connect the hard drive and enter BIOS. Check that the hard drive is shown here. If not then you cannot format it. After that I will recommend you to load up SATA drives from a floppy drive to load the drive. Many time Windows 7 disc does not include that. If you can move the drive to a XP system then you can probably get the data back.

Just ensure that the hard drive is working. Then open Disk Management from Administrative tools in Control Panel. In Disk Management see that your hard drive is listed for not. If not then Windows is not detecting the disc. If yes then you hard drive is not having a proper format which is identified by your OS. If your format that from here then you will loose your data. I will recommend you to try a Windows XP machine for the same.