Thread: Jumper at SATA II Hitachi HDD?

Jumper at SATA II Hitachi HDD?

Dear all,

I have a SATA-II 500GB Hitachi harddrive (HI T7K500 500 SA). It shows besides the standard plugs two additional pins. But neither in the manual nor anywhere in the web I could find any explanation abot these pins. I wonder whether these pins are jumper to reduce the speed of the drive? Does anyone know about these pins?

Thanks!
    Pucicu

Re: Jumper at SATA II Hitachi HDD?

The jumper settings are mainly for setting a primary or secondary device. But I am not sure about the additional pins you are talking about. I will recommend not to mess with them. The most common jumper setting are to put the hard drive as Primary Master or Secondary. But here I am attaching a manual of SATA type hard drive. This manual has all the reference material regarding the pins on the backside. Just download and read it. It is a simple 2 page file and with many information on the hard drive.

I was supposed that jumpers for primary and secondary appear only on IDE devices.

Nevertheless, where is the attached manual? I couldn't find.

so here is my issue.. i have a Hitachi SATA 1TB HDD that i am connecting to the asus K8V SE Deluxe MOBO. from the troubleshooting, i have researched that i need to set the jumpers to run it at 150, but there are only two pins on the jumper.. cant find anything online on where to go.. the bios is registering the hard drive, but windows will absolutly not.. i even tried installing xp to get it to find the HD, because that worked for some. still no luck. i also have 2 IDE drives that i have set up in the mean time until i can get this HD to be found on my system.. i dont know what to do! how do i set the jumpers correctly? anyone have any ideas on what my noobness is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by scapegoat303 View Post
    so here is my issue.. i have a Hitachi SATA 1TB HDD that i am connecting to the asus K8V SE Deluxe MOBO. from the troubleshooting, i have researched that i need to set the jumpers to run it at 150, but there are only two pins on the jumper.. cant find anything online on where to go.. the bios is registering the hard drive, but windows will absolutly not.. i even tried installing xp to get it to find the HD, because that worked for some. still no luck. i also have 2 IDE drives that i have set up in the mean time until i can get this HD to be found on my system.. i dont know what to do! how do i set the jumpers correctly? anyone have any ideas on what my noobness is doing?
    Sata hard drives dont require jumper settings, you will have to buy a ide to sata cable if it is supported on your motherboard or else you will have to stick to the ide drives as per the mobo. Windows XP do not natively include drivers for SATA controllers (add-in or on-board), so you must install them during the installation of the operating system. The system, motherboard, or controller manufacturer usually supplies these drivers, either on a driver CD or downloadable from their web site.