Thread: External hard drive path error

External hard drive path error

Hi friends,

I have recently bought 250gb HDD of Western digital which was working fine but today when i try to access my external hard drive i was not able to access it, after some time i got an message as the programs require certain files on my external hard drive for access. Normally my external hard drive is loaded as disk "I:", but today it is being loaded as disk "E". Can anyone tell me how can i get the hard drive to return to loading a disk "I" to solve the problem of broken paths to the files.

If you are facing such kind of issue where your external hard drive assigns some another name then normal, in that case i would suggest you to goto Disk Management for that you need to right click on My computer and then click on Manage, over here Computer Management Window would get open, over here you will find disk management click over it. At the right hand side you would be able to see your external drive, right click on your external drive and assign drive path letter for it. Finally reboot your computer for changes to get effected.

What is the path to my external HD?

I am also getting external hard drive path error when i am trying to move the files of my users to my USB hard drive, for more information i am using Mac OS X Leopard and i am trying to run the following code but that also didn't helped me a lot.

rename($subdomain."/pictures/upload/".$backup_file_name, "/Volumes/usb_hd/".$backup_file_name);

Try to use the below code which will return value to your call to see if it returns true or false.

PHP Code:
    rename($subdomain."/pictures/upload/".$backup_file_name"/Volumes/my_usb_hd/".$backup_file_name)

or die(
    'rename failed!'); 
    If it doesn't work then in that case you need to check out which version of PHP are you using it, if you are using older version of PHP 4.3, then this might be one of the reason and at it might also happen that on your system PHP doesn't have any permission to write the external hard drive have a check for the same.