Thread: Adding a additional storage to Desktop pc

Adding a additional storage to Desktop pc

Hi,
    I have a mid size business. I have 4 personal pc and a Laptop. On my desk I am using a laptop which has a 160 GB hard disk, 2 Gigs of RAM and Windows XP. I have a now a large collection of files in my computer. I worry if something happens like virus or any hard ware failure then I can loose my data. I want to add up a additional storage to my computer. So weather is it possible to install a single unit for entire office or for each and everything I will have to add up a separate hardware. What you people thing about this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Adding a additional storage to Desktop pc

You can add up some external hard disk around 1TB to your laptop and take a regular back up of your system. Or you can simply attached a external hard disk to your computer and shared it over the network. Just right click on the drive go to properties and then at the last tab of Sharing enable it. Ask your users to copy and paste data in the shared external drive. So now you get two ways to store the data. One on your hard drive and the second one on your external drive. In this way you data is more secure.

You can install a Mini Storage Tower to your network system. It comes with a PCI card support which can be directly connected to your server and used as primary storage device. You can add upto 4 hard drives in it each of 1Tb size. And that is enough for your entire office data backup. The mini tower by Addonics is very simple to install and configure. You can use Windows backup service to take regular back up. Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System tools > Back up and restore. Add a time and schedule the backup. Assign the directory of this external device. Windows will take regular back up without the user's interference.

I will recommend you to add a 500 Gb hard drive to your server system and then take the back up in it. But if you want a automated service then you can install a SAN in your office. SAN is costly service used by large enterprises to manage a large amount of Data. So if you does not have that much to handle then a external hard drive or a 1 TB hard drive can do the job. Just assign a computer as server and use any third party backup software to take the backup regularly.