Thread: Aspire 5100 USB Crash under Windows Vista

Aspire 5100 USB Crash under Windows Vista

Whenever I plug in a USB device the computer makes 3-4 beeps and then attemps to find a driver for the device, but never does. Vista Business Edition has been install and working fine... except that the USB are not recognized. Before upgrading the BIOS, which was done in an attempt to improve the stability of 802.11 networking, the acer fand program worked wonders to keep the fan running as little as possible. What do I need to get the USB to be read?

Re: Aspire 5100 USB Crash under Windows Vista

Have you done the Chipset driver uptodate ? Do you know where you could find chipset drivers for the 5100? eLock settings? eManagement settings? all USB controller items be deleted in device manager, reboot and let the system redetect them. There is a kernel module (acerhdf) that replaces the functionality of acerfand. I have tested acerhdf on an Acer Aspire One 150 3G and it seems to be working great.

I would suggest that u check the view "hidden device" in hardware device manager and see what else is marked with yellow, If that problem is there then I will suggest you to download the new bios, and try to create the bootable usb using the dd command. sometimes it happens because of another "not.correct" installed driver can cause a ripple effect can u post a pic of ur expanded device manager?

I have some questions regarding your problem and here they are as follows, Are you running XP ? When did the problem start ? What was the last thing you were doing ? Does your system has suffered from any crash ?