Thread: cdr101 not ready reading drive

cdr101 not ready reading drive

I have Windows XP installed on my pc and I recently formatted because it was infected by virus and had lots of problems. Now, I am getting a error message for my floppy drive which used to work fine before which reads something like this:

CDR101:Not ready reading drive E
    Abort,Retry,Fail

I have also set the default settings in Bios but again the same error and I also downloaded some boot up disks and changed the boot up sequence but still I am getting the same error. Can anybody help me out please? Thanks
    Live, Love, Die, But
    ···ENjO¥···

Re: cdr101 not ready reading drive

Did you try to get this bootdisk setup from here for your operating system. Have a blank floppy disk ready and run the program it will create a boot disk with universal cdrom drivers.

I think that the errors on the C: drive does needs to be solved before proceeding to any futher installation, that shouldn't affect the CD drive. I assume the machine was (more or less) working prior to the restoration attempt? Are you booting from the recovery CD or are you using a floppy disk to start the computer? Generally the 'not ready' error comes from a malfunctioning (or dirty) CD drive or damaged CD.

Have you tried the 'slow boot up' speed option listed in your BIOS, if not then first try that. If it's booting from a floppy then how much slower can you get? The option you describe is generally to compensate for hard drives that don't initialize quickly enough. If you're booting from a 98 bootdisk, no matter what option (1 or 2) you choose at the boot menu (other than the readme help file, 3) you will get a ramdrive created. If you have only one physical hard drive with one partition, the ramdrive will be D:. Your cdrom will be E: (and, depending on the boot disk,) up to Z:. If the hard drive is not recognized properly in cmos the ram drive will become C:
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!