Thread: Hp scanner shows function you have requested cannot be performed

Hp scanner shows function you have requested cannot be performed

I'm running Windows XP and have recently installed the software for my HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer. I'm using a wireless network through a Dlink router. Printing, Faxing and Copying all seems to be working fine on my pc. But now the problem is that whenever i try to use my printer, i get an error message stating that "hp scanner the function you have requested cannot be performed" on your pc. Can any body tell me that why i'm facing such problem on my pc? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue. Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Re: Hp scanner shows function you have requested cannot be performed

You might be facing such problem on your pc because another program already has control of the device. I used the web interface to the Print Server and changed the DHCP IP assigned address to a fixed address. If the program currently using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program and try again.

I have a similar problem with my HP Photosmart C4480. When I try to scan using the HP Scan Pro, I get an error message of "Sorry, scanner could not be initialized. For that i would like to know that do you have another TWAIN device connected to the computer? Scanners and Cameras are TWAIN devices. Windows will only support one active TWAIN device, so a camera or another scanner using TWAIN will interfere
    with another such device.

The HP website suggests this problem occurs when there is a problem with the USB universal host controller. I did a re-install and it did not fix the problem. Then i tried to rebooted my pc to no avail. Afterwards i had disconnected power from the scanner and reconnected it and it worked for me. Hope so this may also help you.