Thread: How to Apply Arctic Silver

How to Apply Arctic Silver

Hello Freaks,

I have the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer and Arctic Silver and I eager to know what is the better way to apply it.Do i need to put it on the cpu or heatsink.Can you guys share if its the heatsink what is the best method for my cooler. and best method to remove old thermal paste already on the cpu.

thanks buddies !!

Re: How to Apply Arctic Silver

First of all you need to remove the old stuff.may be you can use q-tips and rubbing alcohol.On the cpu die is the only place it is need - the rectangular silver piece on the cpu.Apply a small drop on it and then use a razor blade to smooth it out to make it just a thin sheet of compound. Some uses credit cards to do this, but the razor blades are more reliable for this purpose.You are not supposed to apply too much or too few! Look the company's instructions.

You need a bit of excess compound on your fingertip. Rub this onto your heatsink base and buff it off. This will fill any gaps and impurities in the surface of your heatsink base.Now about applying I'd say, paper thin, do better. The downwards pressure from your heatsink should push any excess outwards. If you use bareskin you're putting oils and skinflakes and all other kinds of crap into your compound.Business card methods are dandy but they're an extension of your hand.. a flawed tool that you have limited control of. The index finger is awesome, the latex glove just keeps the compound pure and your hand clean.Purchase latex gloves for this

First you need Clean everything.Put a little paste to CPU die.If you are with heatspreaders, you have to use more.Now let the paste spread out.Using something with a clean edge, spread the paste out across the whole of the die. Most people use something like a credit card, stiff business card, or razor. Don't scratch the surface if you use something sharp.Now place the Heatsink carefully.additionally after you clean the heatsink you apply a very, very small amount of paste to where you estimate the die will be, and then wipe it down until only a slight haze remains.