Thread: The new Samsung 64GB Flash Hardrive

The new Samsung 64GB Flash Hardrive

Recently while reading an article I came across Samsung 64GB Flash hard disk. The articles shows up that the flash hard disk is much more durable and reliable data carrier. I bit confused with this. I have 250GB SATA hard disk in my computer which gives a huge space. But is the traditional hard disk which is made up of platters. Now why should a user spend a large amount of money on Flash Drives and get a very less size. What is the difference between this drives. If I want to add up a Flash Drive in my system then better I will go for a 8 GB portable usb drive or an external hard disk.

Re: The new Samsung 64GB Flash Hardrive

This type of hard disk are called as Solid State Drive (SSD). The SSD hard drives gives you a longtime storage life as compare to the regular hard disk. It is a next generation technology which gives you a solution that offers you a many advantages of magnetic media. Like low power, high reliability, less weight and great performance. This drives are specifically meant for laptops. A laptop with SSD drives can give more battery life. This is just a start. As the technology will get a bit old the price porbab;y will come down.

I had worked in SSD STATA drives. They are a developing technology now. The SSD drive by samsung is good as compare to the traditional hard disk. You must have seen in a USB drive small rectangle shape Flash chips. The SSD drives uses this chips to store data. That means there is no worry of crashing or failure of hard disk. The reading speed of this 64GB hard disk is 90Mb/s. The write speed is 70Mb/s and it also includes a onboard cache of 64Mb. The hard drive is costly with a lesser size.

Samsung SSD 64GB hard disk has two types of NAND flash technology. The first one is SLC and the other is MLC. The SLC gives you a great read and write speed with a long life. The cost of SLC SSD drives are higher. But in comparison to SLC, MLC drives gives you a lower read and write speed but they are a bit cheaper than SLC. Currently you can get the hard drive in 80GB and 160GB sizes.