Thread: How to install second hdd on dell e510

How to install second hdd on dell e510

I recently bought a second Seagate Hard Drive 500GB and wanted to install it in my Dell E510. Now the problem is that the drive isnt recognized if I boot my pc with that hard drive in the second bay as Windows XP is not finding a new drive and I am also unable to see any drive letter for this new drive. I have a Sata connection setup in my motherboard. I have tried to play with the jumpers as well and done enough things to get this hard drive working but nothing is shown if I boot up to Windows XP? So can anyone tell me how to install second hard drive on Dell E510?
    Your every word defines my existence, world and self.

Re: How to install second hdd on dell e510

Is the drive seen in the POST (bios startup screen)? What motherboard do you have? Have you checked whether it is shown in the Drive Manager? If yes, then you should be able to assign a drive letter from there.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

If your hard drive is IDE then you need an IDE ribbon cable with a triple connection. If you have a ribbon that is long enough, you could make one by unclipping connectors from and old ribbon and resnapping it on to the new ribbon (you have to do it carefully). Connect the main hard drive closest to the motherboard, next the second hard drive, then next the dvd-rom. Set the jumper on the main hard drive to Master. Set the jumper on the second hard drive to CS (Cable Select). Set the jumper on the dvd-rom to slave. Plug the cable in. Turn on the computer and you will find your hard drive recognized.

Set the jumper on the new drive to 'Slave' attach it to the same ide cable as the first drive, (there should be a spare second connector on the ide cable, if not buy an ide cable with 2 connectors if you don't get one with the new H/D) attach a spare power connector and boot up, the drive should auto detect.