Thread: Reallocated Sector Count error in Seagate 500GB HDD

jade Guest

Reallocated Sector Count error in Seagate 500GB HDD

I have a new seagate 500GB hard disk that i brought yesterday. I partitioned it and everything went well. I started copying some data files i had on a pendrive. It started copying the files and in after few seconds an error occurred and it told me check if the drive is inserted. When i checked in My Coputer, the disk partitions had vanished. I checked in the device manager but the disk wasn't shown. Upon reboot, the disk came again and when i started copying the files, it again disappeared. I ran may diagnostic programs but it tells me that Reallocated Sector Count error. Can anyone help me out with this problem? Thanks!

Re: Reallocated Sector Count error in Seagate 500GB HDD

I guess it will be a SATA II hard disk. Check if you have the proper cable. If you use the SATA cable instead of SATA II, there will be problems! Try partitioning again and try to format the hard disk with NTFS partition and don't do a quick format. Let it full format and it should have no problems then.

jade Guest

The disk is SATA II disk and the cable that i use is SATA II. But still the same problem. I tried Limiting the speed to 1.5GB/s instead of using the full 3GB/s which is by using the limit speed jumper on hard disk. But still the same problem. I have checked other forums but none have the solution. I can send my disk for replacement, but i wan't to make sure it is defective can anyone help?

Reallocated Sector Count error is generally the error by the hard disk's S.M.A.R.T capability. Try to disable S.M.A.R.T capability of the hard disk's from the BIOS. This may help the disk from disappearing. If the problem still remains, post back!