Thread: USB damaged on external harddisk

USB damaged on external harddisk

I have a 160GB external hard disk. I am unable to connect my external disk to the computer. However, I checked other portables connect quite well like pendrive, mobile phone, etc. So it's the problem with the USB port of my external disk. I probably think it's damaged due to rough pluggin by someone else, as port appears to be loose...... please help

Re: USB damaged on external harddisk

How long have you purchased your extenal harddrive ? Is it still in Warranty ?

If it is still in warranty, then open it to install as an internal drive. With this, you can backup all the data but after doing this your warranty would be void.....

If it's out of warranty, simply remove the drive and connect it inside your desktop with a molex and IDE cable and set the jumper to slave.

Is it possible to install a new USB input in this existing external harddisk ? If possible, then I'll do that .......

Seems to be good idea of installing a new USB input to your existing external disk but I am not sure whether it is possible or not. You need to ask manufacturers for this. However, (as mentioned by killen) converting the external drive to an internal drive to back up your data is necessary before doing anything...

External hard drives always require the maximum current of 500ma when you plug it using the USB port(s) to the computer system...