Thread: 8 GB SDHC card not recognized

8 GB SDHC card not recognized

Hello everyone,

I bought a Transcend SDHC card 8GB Class 6, It recognizes, including capacity (7.6 GB usable) in my Archos System , but when I plug it in the SD Slot of my Dell Inspiron laptop, it Does not Detect it , I Have a Windows XP (home SP2) system Can you tell me ,Is it compatible with Windows XP? Is there such problems with the SDHC high capacity Cards ? please Help me Solve Your Problem thank you for your answer!

Re: 8 GB SDHC card not recognized

Hello , Yeah, no one bothered to write SDHC drivers for XP. There might be a hack to do it...but I am not sure. Try to do low level format to see that helps or not.

Download the SDHC Update.

To Solve Your problem
    Follow the instructions:
    • Install the update
    • Shut down the laptop
    • Press the MD button (next to the ON/OFF button, with a house icon on it).
    • After the Media Center has started choose Update

1. Navigate to the MediaDirect 3.3 Secure Digital High Capacity download page, and click Download Now.
    2. Click the Run button.
      After the file downloads to your computer, the MediaDirect InstallShield window appears.
    3. Click the Next button, and click Yes to accept the license agreement.
    4. Click Finish after setup is complete.
    5. Shut down the computer.
    6. Press the MD button to start MediaDirect.
    7. Click the Update button.
      MediaDirect enters hibernate mode when the update is complete.

Your card may be corrupted , See if you can read your card from your computer via a flash reader. Also, have your computer scan the card for file system errors and automatically fix them; e.g. on XP: double-click on My Computer, right-click on the drive with your card and select Properties > Tools > Check Now button > check off "Automatically fix filesystem errors" > Start button. After that, your card will likely be readable again; however some files may be missing. Hopefully you made backups .

Otherwise Check this Link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;934428
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923293

I am running Windows Media Center 2005 (XP Professional) on an HP n7680m Desktop. I bought and have been using an IOGEAR GFR209T multicard reader to read my Kingston 16 GB Class 6 SDHC card and it has worked fine. Now, suddenly, the computer does not recognize that reader nor a Kingston Data Traveler 8 GB USB thumb drive that I have been using for a couple of years. I do have Acronis Home Image 2010 on my unit, could this be the problem?

The first thing that you need to check is that you are having the USB drivers installed in your computer properly. If that is not installed in your case then you might get the issues like this. Other than this, you can check if that is working fine on other computer. If that is working then just format that from there and after that try to connect that to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandy Dancer View Post
    I am running Windows Media Center 2005 (XP Professional) on an HP n7680m Desktop. I bought and have been using an IOGEAR GFR209T multicard reader to read my Kingston 16 GB Class 6 SDHC card and it has worked fine. Now, suddenly, the computer does not recognize that reader nor a Kingston Data Traveler 8 GB USB thumb drive that I have been using for a couple of years. I do have Acronis Home Image 2010 on my unit, could this be the problem?
    Both the 8GB & 16GB SDHC cards can be read by (1) PC laptop running Vista and on (1) MacBook (using the IOGEAR GFR209T attached to a USB port). The Media Center Desktop still reads my 2GB SD cards fine even through the IOGEAR GFR209T but it will no longer recognize the SDHC cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandy Dancer View Post
    Both the 8GB & 16GB SDHC cards can be read by (1) PC laptop running Vista and on (1) MacBook (using the IOGEAR GFR209T attached to a USB port). The Media Center Desktop still reads my 2GB SD cards fine even through the IOGEAR GFR209T but it will no longer recognize the SDHC cards.
    Do you have Acronis True Image Home installed? Apparently there is an issue with USB card readers not being seen after the latest Windows Updates. The solution is to get and install the latest build of True Image from Acronis' website. Also, there is a 923293 hotfix adds support for SD High Capacity memory cards in Windows XP, check it out here.