Thread: Lifecam VX 3000 causing blue screen at start up

Exclamation Lifecam VX 3000 causing blue screen at start up

Hey guys,

About 5 days ago I bought a webcam, Microsoft Life cam VX-3000
    And about 2 days later when i turned my pc on I got a blue screen saying something along the lines of "Fault in non paged area" and some long code like STOP 0x8000 etc

Now this is 2 days after having installed the software and ever since, every time I turn my pc on after a long wait of hours (usually when i sleep and wake up i turn the pc on) I get a blue screen at the start up.

Also to let you know the software runs on my pc, I've used the camera without problems but yes. My pc first crashed when I tried to save a graphics file image and I didnt know what the cause was.

I have recently uninstalled the webcam software and Im gonna turn my pc off for the night and turn it on tomorrow morning to test my theory that the reason for the blue screen was indeed the cause of the software on my pc. My theory should provide that I will not get another blue screen. But yes im not sure as to why Im getting these blue screens.

I had to run my windows xp disc in the start up to repair the system using that "chkdsk /r" code which always repairs the corruption or whatever to let me enter my pc. So far i've had to do that a few times now.

Im not sure if the software is incompatible with my pc but here are the requirements of the webcam:

• Windows Vista or Windows XP with service pack 2
    • Processor: Intel Pentium 3 550 MHz (pent 4 1.4GHz recommended) or higher, 256MB of RAM or higher
    • Hard Drive: 700mb

My system:

Windows XP Professional,
    version 2002,
    service pack 2

Intel
    Celeron CPU 2.40GHz
    2.40GHz, 512MB of RAM
    My system has lots of available space as I was able to install and run this webcam on my pc.

So yeh my computer does cover most of the requirements, But im not too sure if the reason of the crash could also be because I was running the software on a Celeron and not a Pentium

Advice would be greatly appreciated, as Im going to go trade in this webcam if I find out that my "blue screen of death" was because of the webcam.

Re: Lifecam VX 3000 causing blue screen at start up

Check your BIOS settings and set them to default settings.
    Then besure PNP (Plug and Play) is enabled.
    Uninstall and reinstall the webcam driver.
    To test the memory use MEMTEST86

Hello , If you mean a way to stop rebooting when errors occur, it's in Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery.The next time that Blue Screen of Death occurs, check if it says which file caused it. Check also Event Viewer for hardware / software errors. and post back the result , it will be really helpful in solving this issue

The LifeCam is possibly the most buggy webcam I've ever used. With a clean WinXP sp2 installation on different machines I still receive ocassional BSOD's using driver version 1.3.

Bit disappointing that MicroSoft products aren't compatible with MicroSoft software! Think I'll be switching to Logitech, at least their stuff works!