Thread: System Fan Failed

System Fan Failed

I recently started getting bootup error saying:

Error: System Fan Failed. Please get this serviced immediately.
    System will reboot in 5 seconds.
    The system fan is working perfectly. I've reseated the processor, cleaned it and applied thermal compound. Moved the RAM to 2nd slot. The temperature 39C is working OK. I have even checked all wires going to the motherboard.

Please help me!

Re: System Fan Failed

You may need to just replace the fan, maybe its is no longer working. It should have nothing to do with the CPU, but it could also be a fault in the motherboard. Any hardware changes recently may lead to such problems.

Check to see if the Power Supply has the plug that goes to the motherboard jack marked CPU fan or FAN.

A lot of motherboard require that special plug on the original power supply. If you do not have that plug on the power supply, you can short the leads by inserting a 100 ohm resistor in place of the power supply jack. That will fool the motherboard in thinking it has the CPU fan and will boot without the error.

No its not your power supply fan, if it was your power supply would overheat and fail, plus your computer doesn't talk to your power supply so you wouldn't get an error message. And it's not your CPU fan because if it was your computer would freeze up after a few minutes of use and the CPU would probably melt to the ZIF socket. No, it's probably just the fan in the back which you don't need, but it does help keep your system cool. Just replace it and it only requires screwing it in, really easy.

If your cpu fan is still spinning but the bios gives the error message then just ignore the message and try to update the bios.