Thread: Disk drive constantly working?

Disk drive constantly working?

hi,
    Sometimes my main disk drive (operating system: windows vista)gets very busy when I am not using the system.In windows xp it doesn't happen.There are no processes accessing the drive or using it. It's strictly a storage drive.

Re: Disk drive constantly working?

Could it be the indexer?

Take a look at the disk section in the Reliability and Performance Monitor (type Reliability in the Start menu Search). It'll tell what's doing the reading and writing and to which file(s).

Get rid of the RAID, you don't need it and it is an unnecessary complication. You don't need a Windows XP startup disk as everything can be done from the CD. Partitioning, formating and installing.

Best thing to do is to start again. Boot from the Windows XP CD, delete all partitions, create a single partition with the Windows XP CD, format it and install.

The indexing and defrag services will make you hard drive run all the time an sound horrible. I have 8GB of RAM and it still sounded way too loud until i turned it off. Use Diskeeper and doe defrags manually. Indexing is a waste of time cause it's only good if you do a lot os searching on your hard drive to begin with.

i'm guessing that you mean that your computer keeps loading and loading, even when you're not doing anything?

try checking your processes... go to windows task manager and click on the Processes tab. Then sort it by CPU (highest one first).

the first one should be 'System Idle Process, and this should usually be from 95%-99%. This, I believe is the percentage of power the CPU is using for each task.

If there's another process besides the Idle one that's really high, this file is your problem.