Thread: DVD become CD, D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function

DVD become CD, D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function

I changed my hard disk I reinstall my documents saved on DVDs. Everything is going well and two DVDs, a sudden, my DVD player no longer works: "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function". It is recognized as CD player and plays audio CDs perfectly, but not DVDs.

More yet, my D drive is actually two drives CD now "D:\ and E:\". Note that I have installed no program between the normal state and the present situation. Who has an idea?

Re: DVD become CD, D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function

Change drive letters in the "disk manager". Also try updating the drivers for that specific unit, that might help

Try going to Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM, and (in turn) right click each drive, insert your installation disk, and click UPDATE DRIVER. Follow the driver update wizard instructions. See if anything changes.

Also, go to the Event Viewer, and under System, scroll and see if you have any errors involving ATAPI, Event 9.

The event viewer states: "An error was detected on device\Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation." If it can help.

Drive:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.
    CAUSE

This problem may occur if the CD recording program from Roxio Easy CD Creator is installed on the computer, and if the version of the CD recording program is incompatible with Windows XP.

Easy CD Creator version 4.x and earlier versions are not supported in Windows XP.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:

Easy CD Creator 3.x or 4.x

Remove the program from the computer, and then contact Roxio to upgrade to a version of Easy CD Creator that is supported in Windows XP. For more information about how to remove the program from your computer, contact Roxio or see the program documentation.

Easy CD Creator 5.0x or Easy CD and DVD Creator 6

Install the Windows XP update for Easy CD Creator that is available from Roxio. For more information about how to download and install the update, visit the following Roxio Web site: http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/default.html

I found a fix, how this helps!!

I am running XP Professional SP2 and then SP3
    My dvd drive worked great until sp2, I read installing sp3 would fix it, it did not. Then I tried to delete the upper and lower filters, nothing. I tried uninstalling the disk drives, nothing. I tried changing the values in the HOTKEYS, nothing. I always got "Drive:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function"
    After searching for days on end to find a "fix" for not being able to write data to a blank dvd without software I came across the reason. Windows XP, for some messed up reason, did not support dvd writing. But now as of July 23, 2009 they do. This is the first thing I have found to work.

You must install two things KB932716 and Windows Feature Pack for Storage. Both found on this page in the first box. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...57(VS.85).aspx I hope this puts an end to most peoples suffering like it did mine.