Thread: Hard drive invisible and impossible to format

Hard drive invisible and impossible to format

I post this message because I really need help. I want to clarify that before posting this message, I have already done some research on the net and I really could not solve my problem myself. I got an external hard disk Maxtor Basics 500 GB USB 2.0. But when I plugged it into my computer (Packard Bell laptop, with XP SP3), it does not appear in My Computer and the computer does not assign any letter (like F: / for example). I tried with several USB ports, the same result. I did go to 'Disk Management' and I partitioned it. The problem is that even after partitioning, it is impossible to format (an error message appears: "The operation could not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume, please restart the computer "- what I have done many times, which did not help), and that the letter that I assigned manually gets erased after a reboot. Have you got any idea what is happening? Thank you
    "Freely you have received, freely give." -- Jesus Christ

Re: Hard drive invisible and impossible to format

Looking at the references, I realize that it is self powered. Your problem is probably that your power pc is not enough to fuel the drive. Invests in a double or a usb mini usb powered hub and your problem will be solved.

For info, I have this problem with my passport 300G on some device (Freebox HD) or on the pc. My problem disappears as soon as I connect a usb doubler (or a powered USB hub).

Plug in the usb ports on the back of your pc and not in the front. The rear USB ports are much better fed. If it does not works, buy a usb doubler.

Right click on "My Computer" hit "Manage". Click "Disk Management". Right click on the partition, and select "Change Drive Letter And Paths..." Change the letter to something else, give it a shot.

If it isn't partitioned, do that, by just right clicking on the drive in the display and choosing "Format..."
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly