Thread: Digi Passport I-KVM

Digi Passport I-KVM

Digi International today introduced the Digi Passport I-KVM, a pocket-sized, cost effective tool that allows IT personnel to easily manage remote servers and remote network equipment. The Digi Passport I-KVM provides KVM over IP and console management functionality allowing users to manage remote servers via KVM over IP while simultaneously managing another device like a router through a serial console port. It is ideal for accessing and managing servers and network equipment at remote locations such as remote offices, remote retail locations and remote educational/lab facilities. It is also ideal for managing equipment housed at hosting companies and for cost-effectively IP enabling analog KVMs.

Loyola College's IT department uses the Digi Passport I-KVM to manage a server in a closet located in a remote building on its campus. Patrick Reavey, senior systems engineer for Loyola, comments: "We can see a lot of uses for this device throughout our campus. The low cost and scalability will allow us to add more units as needed. It was very easy to set up and has proven extremely reliable. We also no longer need to conduct regular site visits to manage the server. This has saved us time and made us more efficient."

"The Digi Passport I-KVM can dramatically reduce maintenance costs by eliminating the need for on-site service of remote servers," said Larry Kraft, senior vice president of global sales and marketing, Digi International. "Everything can now be done remotely through a laptop or anywhere an Internet connection is available. It also allows users to easily IP-enable their existing analog KVM equipment. This gives users remote access for a small price and allows them to keep their existing analog boxes."

The Digi Passport I-KVM features automatic adaptive compression for efficient network bandwidth use. It uses up to 100 percent less bandwidth than other KVM solutions providing lower network overhead and a better user experience. Users can easily access the Digi Passport I-KVM over the network, the Internet, through industry-standard free virtual network computing (VNC) viewers or handheld devices like an iPhone. No proprietary software is needed, and there are no additional software fees. Additionally, the Digi Passport I- KVM features virtual media support to transfer files to remote servers. This allows IT personnel to install fixes and patches or load new software remotely by transferring the data over the network.

The Digi Passport I-KVM is a highly scalable product featuring daisy-chain Ethernet and daisy-chain power. Users can simply add Digi Passport I-KVMs as necessary eliminating the need for expensive multi-port devices. Up to eight Digi Passport I-KVMs can be cascaded using only one Ethernet switch port and one power supply.

The Digi Passport I-KVM features one KVM/IP port and one console server port. It also includes strong security including AES encryption and RSA 2049 bit public key for video access. Additionally, the Digi Passport I-KVM features non-blocked access using Web browser or free VNC viewers, and remote user authentication support for LDAP, RADIUS, TACACS+ and Kerberos.

The Digi Passport I-KVM is available now with prices beginning at $559

Re: Digi Passport I-KVM

Overview

• Pocket-size single-port KVM over IP and console server
    • Scalable to eight units
    • Automatic adaptive compression for efficient network bandwidth use
    • Secure SSH connections, user access groups, local and remote port logging, and system and keyword-based alerts and alarms

The Digi Passport I-KVM is the most cost-effective solution in the market to efficiently manage servers and network equipment found in remote locations. It is the best integrated management solution found in a pocket-size package.

Access to the Digi Passport I-KVM can be from anywhere, at any time, over the network, the Internet or through industry standard free VNC viewers. No proprietary software is needed and there are no additional software fees.

One Digi Passport I-KVM is capable of managing one server via KVM/IP while at the same time managing another device, such as a router, through a serial console port. Users can add Digi Passport I-KVM units as needed, avoiding the purchase of multiport devices in places where they are excessive and expensive.

Features

• KVM over IP Features
      • Non-blocked server access up to 4 simultaneous users
      • Adaptive video compression algorithm for highly efficient network bandwidth use
      • Virtual media support for file transfer to remote servers
      • Private/shared mode switching
      • User access privilege support
      • International keyboard support: US, UK, Japan, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Swiss

• Serial Console Features
      • Serial port redirection using Telnet/SSH or Raw TCP
      • Keyword based event alert using SNMP and/or SMTP
      • Local and remote port logging using Syslog and/or NFS

• Security
      • Hardware based AES 128-bit encryption of keyboard, mouse and video data
      • Rule based IP address filtering
      • Strong security support based on PAM, SSH, HTTPS, RSA, AES encryption
      • User/group management with access control
      • Remote user authentication support: LDAP, Radius, TACACS+, Kerberos

• Regulatory Approvals
      • FCC
      • CE
      • UL

Remote Server Requirements
    • PC, MAC, Sun, IBM System P (RS/6000) and DEC Alpha
    • HDD15 VGA output up to 1600x1200@60Hz
    • PS/2 or USB keyboard and mouse interface

Environmental
    • Operating temperature: 0° C to 50° C (32° F to 122° F)
    • Storage temperature: -20° C to +60° C (-4° F to +140° F)
    • Relative humidity: 0% to 90% (non-condensing)
    • Serial port surge protection (ESD): ±15 kV

Hardware Interfaces
    • Network: 2 x 10/100Base-T Ethernet ports for uplink and cascading
    • Keyboard/Mouse: USB or PS/2
    • Video: HDD15 VGA up to 1600x1200 @60Hz
    • Serial console: RS-232 up to 115.2 Kbps for serial port redirection and/or unit configuration
    • Virtual media: USB

• Power Requirements
      • Input: 5 - 12VDC
      • Power consumption: 5.78 Watt
      • Locking type power connector
      • Server powered design through USB port of the server
      • Optional DC power supply

• Dimensions
      • Width: 2.83 in (7.2 cm)
      • Height: 1.26 in (3.2 cm)
      • Length: 5.20 in (13.2 cm)
      • Weight (PS/2): 9.24 oz (262.0 g)
      • Weight (USB): 7.87 oz (223.0 g)

• Client OS Requirements
      • Industry standard web browsers with Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment
      • Platform-independent VNC viewers available for wide range of platforms including Windows 98/2000/2003/XP/Vista, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X, Palm OS, Windows Mobile OS*, Pocket PC OS*, Windows CE*, iPhone*