Thread: Dell Touchpad Not Working

Dell Touchpad Not Working

hi,
    i have Dell Inspiron 1420 Touchpad,installed windows xp sp2. I do not have a Fn key that will turn it on/off & I do not have any options under my keyboard in Control Panel.I tried to do a search for it on my laptop but it isn't even there anymore.I can use it for navigation but no response on tapping in the touchpad. Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Dell Touchpad Not Working

It sounds like you may have a problem similar to what I had. I had three vertical rows of keys that would not work unless repetitively banged on. It was under warranty and the Dell tech came out and replaced the keyboard for me. Problem solved.It is unusual that it works for navigation but not clicking. Have you tried updating the drivers from the Dell website?

I had the same problem on my Dell D400 I just found the download for my touchpad and it works fine now. Go to a dell website and find drivers and you will be asked for whats type of Dell you have and there should be a drivers for your touchpad.

hi,
    take a look in device manager to make sure there are no little yellow !'s. Windows will detect the touchpad as a genric ps/2 mouse, but to make it work properly you'll need to get the actual driver from your laptop manufacturer's website.